Riding Mower Battery Life

Page 2 of 2

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 16:15:22 -0700 (PDT), panabiker

I'd suspect 2 and three, along with the fact that a lawn mower takes a beating unless your yard is level and smooth. If I got four years out of one, I'd be overjoyed.
--
A computer is] like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy. --
Joseph Campbell

Only 50 starts a year, and 6 months unattended is considered NEGLECT.
Batteries perform best when used frequently and kept fully charged. That's why a car battery lasts so long. It never goes more than 24 hours without being charged back up. Your lawn mower sits 6 months.
If you want longer life, invest in a Deltran Battery Tender and keep the mower plugged in during the 6 months you don't use it.
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 16:15:22 -0700 (PDT), panabiker

Many owners leave the key in and drain the battery. Battery corrosion, dampness. You can always remove the battery and start the engine by hand (I've been doing this for many years).
On 4/7/2010 6:24 AM, Phisherman wrote:

I have to wonder what car battery is good for more than 4 years? After that you're living on borrowed time. Rather than counting the number of engine starts, he has to look at the length of service. I'd say he got what it's reasonable to expect from his battery.
I recently replaced the original battery on my John Deere lawn tractor after 4 years of service. I basically used it about once a week four months or so out of the year. I had a cheap Harbor Freight battery tender on it whenever I parked it in the shed. The old battery still worked but you could tell it labored. When I installed the new battery: WOW! It started better than it did when the lawn tractor was new.
Three months later I moved and sold the lawn tractor because my new yard is easier to cut with a regular mower.
Jay
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:15:53 -0400, Jay Hanig wrote:

The one on our car (used daily) is on its 13th year now and still doing its thing...
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 19:48:44 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

1996 year Toyota is on the second car battery (Mojave desert). 14 years.
!994 Ford truck is on the it's third (?) in 16 years. The desert heat is tough on batteries ... average may be 5 - 6 years. I think a lot has to do with the starter, connections, etc. A starter that is "going bad" will really kill the battery quicker. IME.
Jay Hanig wrote:

certainly smaller battery size. 4 or so years (seasons) seems about right for the small batteries.... paul
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:15:53 -0400, Jay Hanig

John Deere, 16 horse Kohler, bought in 2000, just replaced the orig battery today after it wouldn't hold a charge from a 6 amp charger overnight. Prior 9 years no problems. Sits in unheated garage from mid Oct. until around this date.

I just replaced the original battery in my 2001 Ranger. My wife's battery was replaced in 2004, when we bought the car. FOur years isn't all that much to ask from a battery unless, perhaps, you live in Phoenix. Heat kills 'em.

Often,it's just that the electrolyte level has dropped below the plates; many so-called "maintenance-free" car batteries have removeable access caps and you can add distilled water to keep the level covering the plates. (they aren't "sealed: lead-acid batteries....they still have a vent for gas.)
I suspect that would go a long ways towards a longer car battery life,if one checked the level every 6 months or so,and topped the cells off if needed.
The next most-common failure mode(after heat) is vibration;the paste falls out of the grids and collects in a pile at the bottom of the cell,and eventually shorts the cell.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik