Riding Lawnmower won't move.

Hello all. I have searched for this solution and couldn't find it anywhere. If there is a better place to post this please let me know!

I have a Snapper Riding mower (model: SR1028). Recently, while mowing, it just stopped moving. I saw what appeared to be a belt laying on the ground. On further investigation, it turned out to be the rubber part of the clutch that ripped off the metal disc that it is on (I'm not too technical with the names). I replaced the part with a new one (I luckily had a backup that the guy gave me when I bought it from him used).

The problem is, it still won't go. The wheels turn freely in opposite directions, but when trying to move them in the same direction like you would normally, it locks in place. I believe that is what cause the clutch to tear in the first place. It has two (what look like gear boxes or something) attached to the axle. One large one on the right, really close the the right tire. It has a second one that is smaller in the middle attached to the clutch. It moves through R-N-1-2-3-4-5 like it should, and all belts are in good shape and attached. I'm thinking it might have to do with where the axles hook up.

What could cause this? Any ideas on where to start the troubleshooting? Also, it says to disconnect the batter if it is left on it's back for more than 2 hours. How long should I wait to start the engine once I flip it back over. I don't want the engine to break because the oil isn't where it needs to be.

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
Mwahahahahaaahaa

The drive wheels are connected to a differential to allow them to turn at independent speeds just like a rear wheel drive auto. That's where your problem is.

Reply to
Meat Plow

With the shift lever in neutral and the "parking brake" OFF the rubber tired clutch wheel should NOT be touching the driving disk and you should be able to rotate that clutch wheel easily by hand.

If the above conditions are met, and the clutch wheel won't turn, I'd say something may have busted and jammed inside the gearbox attached to the clutch wheel.

Give us a few more answers and we can get closer to it.

Re the engine oil, just a minute or two is all that should be needed.

HYH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I hope this is a good place to post this question.

I have a Snapper SR1028 lawn mower (rider) that won't move. It starts great etc. Last week when I was mowing it stopped completely and the rubber part of the clutch tore off. I replaced it with a new one. It cycles properly in R-N-1-2-3-4-5 and moves the clutch along different parts of the wheel like it should ( i don't know the technical terms). The belts are good etc. The wheels turn, but they don't turn the same direction at the same time. For example when you turn the right wheel forward, the left wheel only turns backward and visa versa. There are two (what look like gear boxes) attached to the rear axle. One large one close to the right wheel and a smaller one that looks like it attaches to the disc (or clutch, whatever you call it) and subsequently to the left wheel. It won't budge in neutral, because the wheel won't move in the same direction..

Any ideas on what it could be? Also, when I flip it on it's back (vertical position), how long do I have to wait to start the engine. I don't want to damage it because the oil is in the wrong place! P.S. it is meant to flip on it's back.

Thanks!!

Reply to
Mwahahahahaaahaa

[...]

The engine turns a v-belt, which turns the disc. The disc turns the rubber idler wheel that you fixed. The idler wheel drives a pulley which drives the differential. The disc turns when the engine is running. If not, the bearing under it is bad. The idler wheel can lift, or the second belt can be tightened with a wheel rubbing against it.- one or the other, depending on your version. That is the clutch. Just make sure each element works correctly until you find the problem.

Does the disc turn, but the rubber wheel not turn? If so, one of the bearings on the end of the shaft that the wheel is on is probably bad.

The wheels turn opposite directions because of the differential driven by the 2nd belt. If you turn the pulley on the differential, do the wheels turn properly?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Oops! I missed the "rider" part. My comments apply to walk behind mowers.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Rob

There are two (what look like gear boxes) attached to the

Reply to
trainfan1