Retexturing over existing texture

Looking for advice from texturing experts...

I'm going to be redoing my bathroom. The main wall is drywall and textured with a knock down type finish. The wall has had towel hangers, toothbrush holders, etc put in & ripped out over the years and halfhearted attempts to patch the holes were made.

I want to fix the holes right & sand down the filler that was used. I'd then like to retexture the entire wall.

I'm wondering if I can apply a thin layer of joint compound over the whole wall to fill in the existing texture and after it dries then retexture it. Or will that not work too good? Or can I just retexture right over the existing texture with no problem? If need be I can replace the drywall & start over (it's only 2-3 sheets), but I'd rather not if I don't need to.

Thanks for the info...

Reply to
JR

Skim coat the wall then retexture.