Resurfacing a Clawfoot Tub

Hi,
I am in the process of buying my first home and it comes with a clawfoot tub. At least for the short term, I plan to keep and use the tub. I was thinking I should have it resurfaced and I found a DIY kit called "Tubcote Porcelain Resurfacing Kit" on the web. Has anyone any experience with this or similar kits and, if so, does it sound like the kind of thing that could be successfully done by someone with no knowledge whatsoever about such things?
Thanks!
Lesley
Lesley wrote:

If you really want it done right, have it done in a shop where they put on a real new porcelain finish. This makes it exactly like new. The next level down is to have a professional in home refinisher come out and do it for you. It will look good but it will not look quite as good as the real thing and it will not last as long as the real thing.
The do it yourself kit will result in something between OK with a fairly short life to really bad depending you your skill level.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
My resurfacer spent a day cleaning than sprayed it. I dought I would have been as thorough . Do it wrong it wont last.
<< My resurfacer spent a day cleaning than sprayed it. I dought I would have been as thorough . Do it wrong it wont last. >><BR><BR>
Even with a GOOD resurfacing, it will last 8 years max. (I have 2 clwfoots and got 6 quotes.) zemedelec
I'd just coat the whole thing with duct tape. When it wears out, add more tape.
On 2 Aug 2004 12:30:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@buffalo.edu (Lesley) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@demoderby.com wrote:

Great idea. You also can get duct tape in colors and change the color when you like.
Great stuff that tape. My daughter came home from a work study program in Botswana with my Nikon camera freshly repaired with yellow duct tape.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
snipped-for-privacy@buffalo.edu (Lesley) wrote in message

Thanks for all the responses. What I'm hearing is that this is probably not something I want to do myself, because I definitely want it to look great, regardless of how long it will last.
I'll start soliciting quotes. . .!
Best,
Lesley
snipped-for-privacy@buffalo.edu (Lesley) wrote in message

The person responsible for cleaning the bathroom should have a -strong- say in the matter of 'keeping' it. Those things are a b*** to clean around. IMO it would be a big negative in the attractiveness of the house.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Harry K) wrote in message

My cleaning lady came with me to the house and not only didn't she complain about the clawfoot tub, but she said that as soon as I've resurfaced it she's going to come over and take a bath in it.
I'm glad you qualified your statement about it being a "big negative in the attractiveness of the house" with "IMO". Otherwise, the statement would be totally ridiculous on many levels.
Lesley