Restoring rubber stair treads

Ammonia was probably not the product to use on rubber treads. Ammonia probably caused permanent color change to the rubber. Contact a janitorial supply store for the proper products. A cleaner called "Profi" is recommended for cleaning rubber. Then there are specific coatings for rubber that won't crack or flake like those made for vinyl tile floors. Rubber generally doesn't have a high shine but more of a satin sheen. If rubber needs to be stripped of coatings be sure to get a stripper made for use on rubber.

mAYBE YOU'D HAVE luck at a janitor supply store. I went to one when I heard they sold stuff that removed soot. They told me what they sold me was what janitors used, but it didn't work in the place I tried it. Maybe becaues I'd already tried something else.
Now I see someone sells treated sponges for soot. Maybe that will worrk better.
But that I had bad luck, doesn't mean you will. The place in baltimore is called Sterling Chemical. No mention of janitors, but I think that's who they sell to, and janitors with longer names.