Restoring Ceramic Tiles

I wouldn't dream of ripping out the bathroom tiles as that's too much work and money. All the same it would be nice if I can restore the polish on them.. The current idea is to use jeweler's rouge and a buffing wheel. Before I spend money on it has anyone tried this method before? Should the idea work what kind of coating can I apply on the tiles so that they will retain their polisged state longer.
PaPaPeng wrote:

Just clean the scum and hardwater off. Then keep them clean. You can apply car polish (not wax) afterwards.
G Henslee wrote:

Leslie Pool Supply did carry a product called Scale B Gone which was very effective at cleaning pool tile. It's a gel. I believe the agent was hydrochloric, but don't remember. I haven't used it for tub or shower.
PaPaPeng writes:

If they are glazed you will just take off the glaze if any is left.
If they are not glazed (rare), you can polish them with a wet diamond disk like the marble floor guys use. But you will have a somewhat wavy surface then.
Rouge will not be effective.