Residential Stairlifts

This is for anyone who has one or researched installing one.......Need feedback.
What is the average cost for a good quality stairlift to be installed in an existing home? A simple 9 or 10 feet vertical run, with no turns. I'm thinking 3 to 5 thousand but I could be way off.
Are they worth the money? Maintenance requirements? Operational reliability?
thanks........
TroutFisher wrote:

That about covers the mid-range. You can go 2-3x up, maybe 3/4x down.
They're worth it if they're needed. Reliability is in this case in what few I've seen/been around (maybe half-dozen(?)) seems reasonably good but I'd say it definitely is related to initial cost (until you get to the really high-end models that have a tremendous amount of cosmetics built into them like the custom matching woodwork, etc., ...

user must be physically and mentall competent enough to use device.
power failures must be prepared for. the person is stuck half way down now what.
my mom was having major surgery, her surgeon didnt think she should be using a stairlift. bath was on second floor
i converted the dining room into a bed bathroom with toilet sink and cheap shower. my mom did well initially but died within 6 months.
i removed the bath stuff and patched the floor. it was a quick dirty cheap fix for a big problem at the time
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm sure there may be some that have only line power, but all the ones I have actually seen installed actually operate off battery pack which is recharged from line for precisely that reason...
The reliability problems of these (that have had problems) have been mostly things like the interlocks on the guards, limit switch(es) adjustment, etc., ... Higher end units have had fewer issues im(somewhat limited)e.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

But remember the liftee doesn't necessarily have to be the operator--in a live-in care-provider situation, for example.

We have had 2 for maybe 10 years, battery operated. They have been used maybe 20 times a day with no issues other than normal batteries and belts and cleaning the charging contacts. Get a quality unit
ransley wrote: ...

Yep...my recommendation entirely... :)
Check ebay for this kind of thing. Old people have them installed and move on. A $3000 lift might go for $300.

might be better to buy used for a local reputable dealer, proper installation and service is key for such a item.