residential power meters

Does anyone know whether residential power meters measure real power or apparent power (vector sum of real and reactive power).

I have found claims for each on the web, so I am really only interested if you can give a pointer to some authoritative document such as a utilities commission decision, a statement by a utility, or a spec for residential meters.

Reply to
M Q

They measure real power. You can Google for "electrodynamometer power meters."

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I was told "Real Power" when I inquired, but looking at my electric bill lately, I'm guessing "Assumed Power" or "Line Our Pockets Power" :p Just kidding. Real Power seems to be the response I get.

tom @

Tom The Great

For the most part they measure real power at residences, but I've heard tell of some areas in the southwestern USA where VAR metering is in use for homes because of the heavy usage of air conditioning equipment.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

A KWH meter?

They used to measure resistive load only.

That meant an appropriate capacitance across a reactive load (such as an AC compressor) could nullify the measured load. Still that way in most cases.

Reply to
HeyBub

Why would AC screw up the PF? A loaded motor will have a PF pretty close to unity.

Reply to
krw

If that were always the case, then why would so many industrial operations invest in power factor correction systems?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Because they have a lot of strange things like fluorescent lights? Computers?

Reply to
krw

Large industrial customers have the PF monitored and there's a substantial surcharge for the PF being too low. Electrical devices intended for home and commercial use are required to have PF correction built into them. All bets are off with industrial devices.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene