Requesting help for AO Smith Water Heater...

Hi,
I own a condominium which uses a AO Smith Natural Gas Model FPS 40 216 Water Heater. I imagine it was installed at the time the condo was built which would be around 1989. The pilot lights fine but I am having a problem with the burner igniting. I've tried the instructions listed on the barrel which explain how to jump start the pilot but it doesn't work.
Can someone direct me to something online or recommend a local service center for doing basic repairs? Seems like something simple but I would like to know any options I have before investing in a new model. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
-Greg
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:45:20 -0700 (PDT), Greg

With a 20 year old heater you'll be throwing money away on repairs. Invest your money on a replacement unless you can fix what you have for free.

totally agree............
OP might try removing and cleaning burner and pilot. carbon builds up, preventing ignition...........
might be main gas control valve, replace heater.

It is hard to recommend a local service center if you don't tell us where you live!!!

I lightly wack the gas valve with a piece of wood on my boiler every fall since it sticks, its not the safest thing to do if something is rotted and breaks.

some water heaters have a one shot overheat protrection built into the main control;.
if temp runaway occurs, burner is permanetely disabled.
20 year old heater time for replacement.
the new one will be much more energy efficent and safer sealed burners,

By saying the pilot lights fine, do you mean it STAYS lit when you release the valve and move it to the ON position? If it then goes out, it's most likely the thermocouple. If the pilot remains lit, then it's likely the gas control valve assembly is shot.
In any case, if it's the thermocouple, you could replace it for about $12 and it could be OK for a quick temporary solution. The gas valve assembley costs more like $70 or so. And as someone already pointed out, a 20 year old gas water heater should be REPLACED ASAP. A life of 12 years of so is typical and you're definitely pushing your luck.
On Oct 31, 12:28�pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

you REALLY dont want to even think of replacing main gas valve........
disturbing such a old heater, even if you get them old valve out, the new one will likely leak soon
Hi,
I appreciate all of the responses. It would seem 20 years is beyond the life expectancy for most hot water heaters. I am currently researching and budgeting for a replacement however in the meantime I would like to get this old one going if the costs are between $25 to $50.
BTW, I live in North Haven, CT USA. Apologizes for failing to mention this in my original post.
Greg