Replacing well pump motor

Howdy all. I'm replacing a bad well pump motor and have run into a little snag in disassembling the old one. The spindle of the old one is attached to the "flywheel" (sorry... not sure about exact terminology here!) and I am stumped on how to proceed in removing it. It looks like it is basically screwed on, but the spindle rotates freely and I have no means of locking it down. I think there's some sort of thin lock-nut at the tip of the spindle, but I see no way of getting that off. Sorry to be vague here... I can provide photos if need be to help further clarify what I'm talking about.

This is turtle.
Now I can't see it from here but here goes at a guess.
The Treads your looking at is the pull adjustment to the v shape pulley belt slot. To Take it a loose there wll be 1 or 2 allen screws holding the pulley head on the shaft. Look for allen screw heads to take it loose from the shaft.
TURTLE.
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:30:05 -0400, TURTLE wrote

shaft.
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately there are no screws (allen or otherwise) left in the way. I think I'll just find a shop I can take it to tomorrow since I wouldn't get an adequate picture of this to give anyone a better look. Thanks for the suggestion though.

it
spindle,
I rebuilt a spa pump recently. I believe I had to partially remove the starter switch on the other end of the motor to find a flat spot on the shaft for a wrench to hold the shaft.
Bob

It is threaded on in the same direction that the motor runs. If you turn the impeller in the normal direction it will unscrew. Take the bell cap off the opposite end and there will be a screwdriver slot or flats a wrench can grab to hold the shaft. Wear leather palm gloves to grab the impeller.