Replacing Wall Outlet - What to do with red wire?

Am replacing a standard wall outlet with a new USB outlet. The house is only 7 years old. The existing outlet uses black, white, red and green wires but the new outlet's instructions only specify using black, white and green.

Question is what to do with the red wire? (note: is live/hot along with the black)

Reply to
markrpike

Just put it together last night. No damage, cause I picked it up from Muncy PA. All parts included to the last washer. About 1 hr to set up. Fired it up today, cut some small Red birch parts for a hardwood floor vent. Ripped some 6" poplar. Cuts fine. I just notice the weld mark on the Grizzly blade marks the wood when I cut. So back to the shop with a dremmel. After one day, I am pleased with it. 350 lbs so I put it on a Fox shop mobile base. Also set it one 3/4" plywod to give clearance for the door. The fence needs more adjustment. But all in all a fine Import tool. I also have the 3HP shaper, 8" jointer, 12" Cabinet saw, all work fine

Reply to
<>

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

IMPORTANT: my answer assumes that you are in the U.S. or Canada. If you're anywhere else, this advice probably does not apply, and could be dangerous. In particular, if you're in the UK, stop reading right here.

If you have red, black, white, and green wires feeding a duplex receptacle, then the two outlets in that receptacle are served by different circuits -- or, more precisely, they are served by opposite sides of what is called a multi-wire branch circuit, also known as an Edison circuit (Google those terms for more information).

If the receptacle you are installing has only one 120VAC outlet, you can't use it here.

You need a duplex receptacle, *AND* you need to break out the tab between the two screws on the hot side. For illustration, see

.

Attach the black wire to one of the hot screws (gold-colored), and the red wire to the other hot screw. The white wire goes to either of the silver-colored screws on the other side of the receptacle, and the green wire to the green screw.

And of course, turn off the breaker before doing any work.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It doesn't have to be an Edison circuit. More commonly you see one receptacle that's wired hot all the time (usually black) and the other receptacle wired to a wall switch (usually red).

Reply to
trader_4

Mark,

Black, white and green are common for wall outlets. Often a red wire is also used. In these cases the red wire is also a "hot" wire and it's switchable. With a dual wall outlet, one outlet is always on and the other outlet is controlled by a switch. Not sure whether you can make one of the outlets in yout USB/wall outlet switchable. That should be covered in the direction sheet. If not tape off the red wire and just use black white and green.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Hi, Just tape the red wire and don't use it and connect remaining 3 wires per instruction if it only has one receptacle vs. two you're replacing.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Agree. The way you make a typical receptacle into the split kind is to break off a tab for that purpose between the two sections. In the case of a USB outlet, if it's made like that, which half is wired lived likely matters, because something has to power the USB.

Reply to
trader_4

Good catch. It could be damn near anything. I've certainly come across legacy wiring no sane or licensed electrician would have done. It would take some time and testing to be sure of exactly what the OP has.

This is a case where I would be tempted to say "finding the red wire means you win a prize - you get to call an electrician." I'd want to see pictures before I issued any advice.

I'd probably look to mount the USB outlet in a box without an added red wire. (-: I think they make six way outlets that stick out from the wall a little but have USB outlets on the side as well as multiplying the existing outlets. Some people hate them (my wife) and some people think they're great (me).+

We could be talking 240VAC perhaps not even wired correctly at the panel. Too easy for this to go lethal. Need a better read on the OP's electrical skills before I'd offer advice other than use a different outlet. It's likely even photos won't be dispositive and tests will have to be run, probably with a helper at the panel.

Reply to
Robert Green

Green or bare is always ground.

White is "cold"

Hot wires can be pretty much any other color, I usually see black, red, yellow, brown or blue.

If there are two separate hot leads have a close look at your present receptacle, it's possible the (presumably) two outlets have been separated and are fed by two different breakers.

That would be useful in a kitchen (for example) to keep a coffee maker and a toaster on two independent circuits.

Have a look at your new outlet to see if it can be wired the same way. On a standard receptacle, there is a little tab between the outlets than can be broken and removed to separate them

philo

trader_4 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Good point --but that doesn't really change anything. He still needs a duplex receptacle, and he still needs to wire it just as I described.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Tony Hwang wrote in news:16wxv.8500$ snipped-for-privacy@fx19.iad:

WRONG!

If, as trader4 suggested, one of the outlets is hot all the time, and the other controlled by a switch, most likely the red wire is the one that's switched -- and taping it off and not using it probably means that there's no longer a switched outlet in that room. Code *requires* that there be a switch controlling either a receptacle or an overhead lighting outlet.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"David Martel" wrote in news:lq62en$8ol$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

WRONG!

See my reply to Tony Hwang.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You have a "split" or "edison" circuit. Don't know what you mean by "usb" outlet. Do you mean GFI??? Don't think you can split a gfi

Reply to
clare

Real easy to answer that question. Voltmeter betrween red and black. If it reads zero, it's a switched circuit. If it reads 240, it's a "split" or "edison" circuit. Either way, it gets treated the same, with the exception that if it is switched you can just wirenut the switched lead and leave it in the box, or better yet wirenut it and disconnect it from the switch, wirenutting it there as well.

Reply to
clare

A usb outlet is an outlet that also has a USB charging port.

Reply to
trader_4

So then why not tape the black wire and attach the red wire to the only receptacle? It will be switched, as required.

If something had been plugged into the always-on receptacle, it can be moved to the switched outlet or plugged in somewhere else.

Reply to
micky

replying to markrpike, MC wrote: I saw the solution at CES in Las Vegas this year. No wiring needed anymore. They are selling it on Indiegogo:

MC

replying to markrpike, Richardbone wrote: We are trying to replace a plugin receptacle, this receptacle has two red wires, two black wires , one white wire and the ground wire. My husband re-wired the new receptacle exactly the same way as old one (so he says). Problem is when he switches the breaker back on it blows again. I was unware that this receptacle was controlled by a light switch since in kitchen I assume the kitchen light switch, there are two lights in kitchen with two separate switches, since I do not use this receptacle very much (not in a convenient place) can we hook it up without the red wires.

Reply to
Richardbone

Sounds like you could have an Edison circuit, where one half of a 240V breaker powers some 120V loads, the other half other loads and they share the neutral. One half of the old receptacle could have been on the black, one half on the red, WITH THE TWO NOT CONNECTED ON THE RECEPTACLE.

Look at the old receptacle. Is there a small missing break-away piece between the two that was removed to separate them? If so, you need to remove the same piece of metal from the new receptacle. Without it, if it's an Edison circuit, you've created a dead short which will trip the breaker. Also, the breaker would be two pole, another indication of an Edison circuit.

Reply to
trader_4

What if you have an odd wiring setup, with each red wire being connected to opposite sides of the 120-0-120 VAC wiring? If that is the case, a jumper between the two hot sides of the outlet must be removed to maintain the original scheme. Look at the old outlet to see if it has that jumper removed. This may be unlikely, but would explain your problem.

I think you would be better off to call an electrician.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

I did not read closely. Assuming you are in the U.S., I would expect red and black wires to be 240 Volts AC apart. You may not be looking at an ordinary 120 VAC receptacle. If you are, then there is definitely a jumper that needs to be removed to keep the original wiring.

It might be better to change the wiring to a standard color configuration, if it was not already. An electrician would be able to determine if the red wires can be eliminated.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie