replacing oil tank gauge

I got my tank filled up and the gauge is still stuck at 90 gallons. I was just going to use a pipe wrench to pry it off then buy a new one to replace it. Is there anything I should know before replacing it?
Joe wrote:

Here's a common gauge for 275Gal indoor use: http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/83580/icn/20-031161/scully_signal/1401422.htm
Hopefully the old one will unscrew without using too much force.
Use thread sealant on the new one and orient the float in the correct direction. Done.
Jim
which way is the right direction?
Speedy Jim wrote:

http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/83580/icn/20-031161/scully_signal/1401422.htm
Joe wrote:

Float arm goes long dimension (length) of the tank

Is it possible that mine got turned around while they were filling the tank?
Speedy Jim wrote:

>>http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/83580/icn/20-031161/scully_signal/1401422.htm
Joe wrote:

Filling should not have affected it. Take it out and see if you can find the problem. Don't leave it open for long as the fumes (from the oil) can affect breathing if allergic.