replacing oil tank gauge

I got my tank filled up and the gauge is still stuck at 90 gallons. I was just going to use a pipe wrench to pry it off then buy a new one to replace it. Is there anything I should know before replacing it?

Reply to
Joe

Here's a common gauge for 275Gal indoor use:

Hopefully the old one will unscrew without using too much force.

Use thread sealant on the new one and orient the float in the correct direction. Done.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

which way is the right direction?

Speedy Jim wrote:

Joe

Float arm goes long dimension (length) of the tank

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Is it possible that mine got turned around while they were filling the tank?

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
Joe

Filling should not have affected it. Take it out and see if you can find the problem. Don't leave it open for long as the fumes (from the oil) can affect breathing if allergic.

Reply to
Speedy Jim