Replacing glass in sliding glass door

I just had the misfortune of having the glass on my sliding glass door shot out with a BB gun. The door has a double pane, the outer pane is shattered and gone, the inner one is still there. I am looking for advice on repair/replacement.
1. Is it possible to just replace the glass?
2. Is it better to replace the frame that holds the glass panes?
3. Should I replace the entire door? This is what my wife would like.
Are any of these something a newbie could do on their own, to save on labor? What would be the relative costs?
Thank you kindly for any responses and advice, including options I may not have considered.
Godfrey

Yes.
No.
Sometimes. Depends on the condition of the door. There are some new ones with much nicer features than a 30 year old one. While not needed, it may not cost all that much more to u pgrade.

Yes, depending on your skill level. Replacing the entire door is a four to eight hour job and two people are needed. Trim must be removed, the old casing removed, the new one set in place, plumb and square, trim replaced. I'd guess that $300 to $500 for labor.
If it is dual pane as you say it may be cheaper to replace it. The dual pane glass assembly has a gas between the two panes and buying the replacement dual pane glass assembly can be quite expensive.
Making your wife happy could be a great investment.
Craig
www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:07:11 GMT, "Godfrey Muganda"

Its always a good idea to listen to the wife anyway. You will need to replace the whole door. There the space between the two glass panes is a desiccated sealed environment filled with dust free inert gas. Plus the gas is tempered safety glass. Both the gas seal and the tempered glass need factory insta;llation.
Godfrey Muganda wrote:

I had a lawnmower fling a piece of petrified pet poo, or maybe brick (at over 300 mph), through a tempered-glass patio door.
Called a glass company. Guy was out with the glass (they are evidently standard sizes, about 3.5 x 6.5 feet) within the hour and, after another hour, had it installed. I helped a bit because the pane to wiggle around burglar bars anchored into the brick walls and concrete patio.
Nevertheless, $180.00. Good as new.
In your case, I bet the double-glass panes are standard, too.

Strongly second what he says- most of the major brands are stock sizes, and if they will install onsite for less than 50 bucks or so, it is well worth it to not have to horse the door off the track, plastic over the hole, haul it to the glass company, and then haul it home and put it in without breaking it. Those suckers are HEAVY, and you really need 2 guys to do it safely. Note well that warranty on double-pane usually requires that they do the install. Having the right tools and the experience does make it look easy.
aem sends...

I had a single pane one that was broken. Took the frame apart and brought it to glass company for sizing. It was std. Glass was $59. Douple pane was like 75-80. Took glass home and put it in frame on a carpet floor. Fine. Just took special care to use a framing square on corners.
Use two people to load and unload so it doesn't snap. Once on floor easy to handle and stand on edge using common sense.
I think they wanted somewhere about 50-75 additional to install it. Not bad really but I wanted to try it. If I had snapped it I would be preaching to have in installed of course :-)
replying to HeyBub, weiwei888 wrote: can you let me know which glass company you used. I have the same head-ache now.
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-4, weiwei888 wrote:

10 years later....good luck getting an answer.
On 5/27/2016 7:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Didn't Hebe Bub die a few years back?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 10:08:52 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I sort of think that maybe I might recall hearing something like that.
How's that for a definitive answer?
On 05/27/2016 08:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Maybe he's like a Chicago Democrat and comes back to life at election time?
replying to HeyBub, Jajisee wrote: I have same problem, Pella door, estimate to repair was $618! Trying to figure out how to DIY.
Thank you all for your insightful responses. I now have a much better idea of my options. Now I just have to make the decision.
Thanks again.