Replacing asphalt with interlocking stones

Hi everybody,
I have an asphalt driveway (400 square feet) that's in rough condition; I'd like to replace with interlocking stones.
Problem is that moneys tight. So here's the plan, we bust up the asphalt with a pick and shovel, then shovel or somehow evenly scrap off about three inches of whatever's under the asphalt (I assume it will be compacted crushed stone).
Then we add about an inch of new sand, and install the interlocking stones\\bricks.
I can get the stones for 54 cents each (3 stones equal's one square foot) so after tax total price for that should be $744.00. I have no idea how much the new sand will cost though, or how I'm going to dispose of the old asphalt and base materials, yet.
Advice?
Please and thank you.
You may (possibly!) be able to find someone around your area that will take the asphalt for free. Keep an eye out for signs asking for "Fill" on the road side or in the local classifieds. Most people would want mostly dirt, with only a little asphalt. But someone might be happy with pure asphalt, especially if it isn't too much.
-Kevin

Asphalt is recycled into asphalt. Call a disposal company, they'll know where to take it.
Being an oil based product, I don't think it is suitable as fill.
If all else fails, there is always an apartment complex dumpster for all your disposal needs.
Rick wrote:

Sand for my paver job cost me $22 a yard.
Did a massive driveway about 10 years ago and it was done with crushed stone and then sand. All of this was packed down with water and a vibrating packer, it was so tough that when the semi backed onto the sand with a full trailer of bricks he left little more than tread marks. To this day every brick is still in great shape and hasn't settled.