Replacing a temperature-only shower valve with a flow-controllable one

Someone in the family just moved into a new home. The showers in the house have a type of control valve that allows you to adjust the temperature but not the flow. Is it easy to replace the valves with ones that allow both the temperature and the flow to be adjusted? (By easy I mean not requiring cutting and/or making new connections to plumbing lines, and can be done through the existing hole behind the current control handle). Thanks.

Nothing is ever that easy.
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:54:24 -0400, Art Long
shower valve with a flow-controllable one:

Probably not easy to do what you want.
You might consider instead a small control valve that fits between the shower head and the shower neck. It has a small button that allows you to control the flow volume. They have them at Lowe's and Home Depot.

That can be difficult sometimes and you will not know until it is too late.
What exactly do you want to do? I would suggest that many shower heads are available with the control you seem to want and they are generally easy to replace. You may find one with just an on-off or you may still be able to find one that have a variable off to on.
Are you sure have you try to push in the knob or pull out
wrote:

That can be difficult sometimes and you will not know until it is too late.
What exactly do you want to do? I would suggest that many shower heads are available with the control you seem to want and they are generally easy to replace. You may find one with just an on-off or you may still be able to find one that have a variable off to on.
Old and Grunpy wrote:

Yes. I know what you're suggesting, but the shower valves are like the ones found in many hotels -- they allow temperature adjustment only.

yeah i like flow and temperature control, my delta works awesome, replaced this spring.
it was a bear ton install