Replacing a stubborn shower head

Hi all,
I moved into an older apartment and I'm trying to replace my shower head with a hand-held one. The problem is that the shower head is basically just a round ball which snaps into a ball-and-socket joint. I need to unscrew the "ball" so that I can screw on my replacement shower head, but it seems to have been glued in place. I considered replacing the whole pipe leading into the wall, but that's been glued as well.
Is there something I can use to dissolve the glue and remove the "ball" shower head? I've used Goof Off, but it's not strong enough. Any tips on how I can get the "ball" shower head unscrewed?
Thanks,
Hoonsuk

See what Eric said. And, sometimes if you're lucky and the stars are lined up just right, you can avoid scarring the pipe by wrapping it with a damp cloth and then grabbing it with the wrench. I use a piece of pond liner (thick rubber) for this, but you're not likely to go looking for a pond supply store. Got anything similar, like rubber mats that people sometimes put in the bottom of the kitchen sink to grow mold as a hobby, or an old rubber bath mat you can cut a piece from?

Thanks for the great tips. Looks like I have to go buy another plumber's wrench from Home Depot. :-)
Hoonsuk
If you think you might do much more plumbing, get the aluminum one. You'll thank yourself for ever.

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:09:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Or rubber strap wrenches. Cheap and sold a few places.
BTW, I doubt anything is glued on. It's screwed on.

He may be seeing cruddy residue of teflon tape combined with soap, minerals and who knows what else.

try an scrap of bicycle inner tube,or a rubber jar opener(round rubber disc,textured)
On my shower,I had to replace the elbow pipe that comes out of the wall;the ball was an integral part of that pipe. they do that so you can't swap shower heads.
(the "glue" may only be liquid pipe compound.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik