Replacing a sill plate

We have water damage from a leaking sink drain inside a kitchen wall. Unfortunately it went on for a while and the sill is rotten which allowed the floor joists to sink and well... you get the idea. The insurance company is telling me they won't pay for it (they won't pay for rot damage that is caused over weeks or months, I guess they only pay for rot damage caused in a day). Anyway, how difficult is something like this to fix? I assume we'll have to pull out the cabinets (needs doing anyway), pull out the floor, jack up the joists and ... then what? I'm not planning on DIYing this but I'm looking for an idea of what is involved.

Reply to
Mac Cool

Do you have access to it? I had a sill and rim joist replaced fifteen years ago. It wasn't a big job at all; $275 (but that was 15 years ago). I can see all sorts of possible complications, though. Replace it with PT.

Reply to
keith

The sill plate itself more than likely could be done from a crawl space or basement if there is one rather than from the kitchen itself.

Of course, if there's that much water you may need the other repair anyway, of course.

It shouldn't be a major problem but depends on details not knowable from here as to any possible complications....

--

Reply to
dpb

keith:

There is a crawlspace, not much room, maybe 3 feet. It's a brick veneer home.

Reply to
Mac Cool

That's all the space they'll need, though they might not be happy about it. Depending on whether the rim joist is parallel to the field of floor joists, or if the joists are attached to it, will determine if it's an easy job or a bear. If there are not floor joists running into it, then it's pretty straightforward and the biggest issue will probably be working around or moving plumbing and mechanical obstructions.

If the floor joists are attached to the rim joist you have a much bigger problem with a brick veneer building. It would involve poking holes in the brick above the work area, supporting the brick above the work area with inclined jacks and/or steel clips bolted to the framing, then removing all of the brick in front of the rim joist and going to work.

RicodJour

RicodJour:

It's the latter, thanks.

Reply to