Replacing a busted pane in my french door

My french doors are double-paned. I don't even know if 'pane' is the right terminology because there are no muttons in the door. It's just a big sheet of glass -- a quick unofficial measurement is 21 1/2" x

66". The french door is wood, not metal.

I managed to bust the first pane of glass in my door while mowing today :(. Is this hard to replace? Just looking at the door, it seems simple. Unhinge door, laying it flat. Pop out the outer molding, pull out the broken glass, put in a new pane, seal and replace moulding. Could it be this simple? And would I save much versus just paying someone to do it?

Thanks for the advice! jw

Reply to
programmer.py

No, it isn't that simple. True double panes are sealed with an inert gas between them.

Reply to
dadiOH

is the

if its a sealed glass unit find a local glass shop take the entire door off its hinges to the shop. they disassemble and install new sealked glass unit the same day.

not expensive either.'

pittsburgh window and door did my 3 foot by 3 foot picture window for under 80 bucks.

Reply to
hallerb

So 2 panes with air between them are not "true" double panes? :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Well, they have two sheets of glass but don't insulate as well as those where the air has been replaced with a gas. Another option is a partial vacuum. All need a dessicant too. Point was and is that OP would be better off insulation wise by replacing all the glass in the door, not trying to DIY by replacing just the broken one.

Reply to
dadiOH

If you don't have thermopane (insulated) glass then you can replace just one pane. HOWEVER, glass in a door is required to be tempered; you can't just use window glass.

Reply to
Ed

No need to remove the door, but you do have to replace the entire

*unit*, not just the broken pane.

If you DIY, depending on the glass company, you will probably save $75- $100 for the service calls. (one to measure - one to install)

Reply to
Ron

Note that if you simply buy the glass from a glass company to install yourself, many or most glass companies will NOT guarantee it. Too easy to mess it up and lose the seal. You may be able to buy the replacement assembly, including the plastic frame and decorative grid, from a door company, if it is a stock common size. (And I do mean door company, not the big-box.) Switching that is a two-person job, by the way- not because it is heavy, but because it takes 4 hands. Usual caveats about door glass needing to be tempered apply, of course.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Speak for yourself :)