replacement windows

I have a rental house i would like to replace windows in, several are identical & i want to start there. What I would like to know is how I should measure what i need to buy without exposing existing framing. I am assuming I can simply measure the outside of the trim & the inside of the trim & buy windows with a RO size right in middle of that +/- a little... is there a particular brand or type that i should use or stay away from?
Thanks Rob
longshot wrote:

Find a supplier first. Likely they will have instructions for measuring for their products. I suggest that you may well want to have them do the measuring as if you miss-measure you just bought some worthless windows.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

should
assuming
buy
I've been installing Pella windows in my house. did 2 in one room a couple years ago and just did 2 more this past winter.
Stock windows were 1" to tall but the cost of custom sizes forced me to cut out and make the RO larger. I would remove trim. I has to chip out plaster to get at the 2" x 4"s and get an acurate measurement.
Putting the windows in was a snap. I trimmed out the inside with a sill instead of just a picture frame.
Very nice windows. Realy feel the difference in the winter.
Steve