Replacement Toilet

Page 1 of 2
I am getting ready to remodel a bath including replacing toilet because of out dated color. I understand all toilets are the water saver type now, some do a good job of flushing, some don't. Any advice on make and model appreciated.
Thanks,
Walt Conner
American Standard Champion. The One Flush Wonder!

Hear! Hear!
Perce
On 02/04/06 10:02 pm A.D.C. wrote:

I highly recommend the Toto brand of toilets. I've installed two and before I had to have plungers nearby. Now, I haven't used the plunger once in 8 months. I cannot find the research paper that I read (online, got the link from this group) but the Toto's clearly outperformed all others. Cheers, cc
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:17:04 -0700, "James \\"Cubby\\" Culbertson"

Here's one link that covers the best of the breed. http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm
The MAP report (PDF file) listed with the first Toto is a great engineering analysis of toilet performance. For some reason it can't be downloaded right now.
Oh, we have 3 Toto's. Wouldn't have any other brand. American Standards are OK, but noisy. The Toto's are quiet. In the year since they were installed, not once was a second flush required on any of them. It is amazing to watch how they flush.
Dick
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:17:04 -0700, "James \\"Cubby\\" Culbertson"

Is this the link? http://www.ci.mesa.az.us/utilities/conservation/pdf/toilet_ratings.pdf
I just put in three Totos Drake models in time for the Christmas rush. Happy with them so far.
Bob S

Unfortunately that's not the link I was thinking of. The research I remember seeing tested about a 100 different toilets/brands and gave the data behind them. Either way, the data still supported the Toto as being most efficient/effective. Cheers, cc

American Standard Cadet, around $65 @ Home Depot. One flush clears it most every time.
WConner, 2/4/2006,9:56:59 PM, wrote:

If I ever get a replacement toilet it will be the elongated ones.
--
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." ~ Alexander Hamilton

Check out Consumers Reports at your local library - they test a bunch of models. Last test was August of 2005. I was looking myself recently, and standouts were the Elger Titan ($350), Gerber Ultra Flush 21-312 ($275), and Eljer Aqua-Saver 091-7025 (CR Best Buy, $200). Don't know about the price mentioned above - cheapest list price in their test was $160. Hope this helps. Good luck, Andy
I just installed an Eljer Titan a few weeks ago. It and the Toto and some American Standard models have a 3" outlet. Even with low water pressure one push and the waste whooses out of there faster than you can blink! Make sure you get a model with the larger outlet!
Dave
of flushing, some don't. Any advice on make and model appreciated.

That's an EXCELLENT choice! :)
When our home was built, I insisted on "elongated bowl" toilets for all three bathrooms. After >14 years, I have appreciated that minor selection criteria. It's all about the comfort of USING the thing.
With the American butt getting bigger every year, I can't imagine installing a toilet, new or replacement, without its being an elongated model. They are simply more comfortable to use.
Caveat: Those that place FORM over function should know that an elongated bowl toilet significantly reduces the choices one has for a seat/lid/cover. That's OK with me as there are enough models available of sturdy, functional and color-coordinated ELONGATED seats/lids/covers for my needs.
Football FANATICS beware: You probably will NOT find a [your favorite sports team logo]-theme toilet seat/lid/cover for an elongated bowl. Live with it. The elongated bowl is worth the <sigh> SACRIFICE!
My toilets do their thing in one flush. They work so well, I may take them with me if/when I move. Heck, they might even appear in my Will!
They are politically incorrect: They use more water.
I was LUCKY as my house was completed JUST BEFORE the low-flow requirement.
However, I do have trouble sleeping because of the guilt I feel over the water I am wasting. After all, we all know that every flush of water disappears off the face of the Earth. Gone forever. It's terrible. I can't stand it...
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs, 2/5/2006,10:32:53 AM, wrote:

I was thinking of the elongated part of the bowl. I'm not fond of my thang touching the bowl while I am sitting on the throne.
WConner wrote:

Just make sure you get one with a fully-glazed trap (2" or larger, IIRC) and it should do a good job for you. The "Glacier Bay" one-piece toilet I bought at Home Depot last year has done a great job. Much better than the old 7-gallon-flusher it replaced. I got the one-piece kind because it's easier to clean.
Bob
American Standard. I just replaced my old three gallon flusher myself. First timer, simple as can be and flushes great.
TOTO

When low flush toilets first came out, they had problems, and they'd have to be flushed several times, which defeated the purpose of saving water. A plumber I know used to drive to Canada, and come back with a truck load of the old style. Last year I asked him if he still drove up there, and he said he no longer has to, because the newer low flush toilets don't have a problem.

some
I am going to go against the majority, my next toilet will be from canada, although I was recently told congress changed the law and stores are permitted to sell 3 gallong flushers again here. seems they finally realized that 2 low flow flushes used more water than a single 3 gallon one.
Dont get me wrong but I am tired of mucking with my toilet. some peoples solid output is larger in diameter and harder than average causing frequenbt plunging.
plus I DONT want noise, having a plunger sit by the toilet, overflows, and all the other junk.
you can buy 3 gallon flushers on e bay, from canada. shipping is costly. but so is replacing my kitchen cieling, ruined from years of overflows

Sure agree with that. Thanks to all who replied. I am not familiar with the Toto brand, where are those sold and aprox. cost, please.
Walt Conner
I buy them from a local plumbing supply house. The low end TOTO is $135.00 I usually by the Drake models for $$200.00
Craig
www.vintagetrailersforsale.com