Replacement of Molding Around Glass Panel on Front Door

Does anyone have past success with replacing the molding around a glass insert in a steel front door? For months, I have tried calling door companies, carpenters, door installers, etc. and have yet to find anyone who has successfully replaced their cracked vinyl molding without having to buy a new door! Your help will be greatly appreciated. This is a first for me to attempt using the internet to request help/information. Bear with me as I learn how this works!! Jean in Texas
On 09/23/06 08:33 pm snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do you know who the manufacturer of the door was? Still in business? We had no problem getting replacement glasses and rims for our Pease doors and sidelights, but I think we could have got the rims on their own if we had wanted (although in our case not only were some of the rims cracked, but the glass units had leaked and no longer had the required insulating properties). We ordered the replacements from Pease, but they were drop-shipped from ODL in Zeeland, MI; maybe you could try the latter: www.odl.com.
Keep in mind that you'll need to know not only the height and width but also the thickness of the glass; our new glass units are thicker than the old ones, so the rims are thinner; it's *possible* that only the thicker glass units (better insulation) are made these days and that you'll have to replace both rims and glass.
Perce
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It is no different than replacing any other type of trim with certain exceptions. It is going against glass so you must be careful with your fasteners. Second, it is going to be installed in a steel door and against glass, which means you have 3 disimilar materials which all expand and contract at different rates. (I am making some assumptions here based on your questions.)
Any good trim carpenter should be able to do this for you. They will not use plastic for replacement, it will have to be wood. If your insert is oval it will be more difficult than square, but easily doable.
I suggest you contact a good millworks or trim company in your area. They should be able to help you. I have done this many times and it is fairly simple. Making the trim profile choices is harder than the actual work of installing them.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.