Replaceing Flooring

I have to replace a vinyl tile floor in a rental unit. I pulled up a couple of the damaged tiles and found the plywood in the subfloor is delaminating. So my plan is to pull up the rest of the tiles and then lay a new 1/4" of plywood over the existing subfloor. When I was at HD today I noticed they carry 1/4" Hardee board. Is there any advantage of using the harder and stiffer Hardee board over 1/4 BC plywood?
The decorating committe (SWMBO, She Who Must Be Obeyed) has not decided on more vinyl tile or a laminate floor, if it matters.
Bernei
They make 1/4 inch material for underlayment. I would stick with that.

Assume this is not a bathroom?
Bernie Hunt wrote:

You should pull up the bad sub floor or you're gonna have a weak spot in the floor. You can cut out sections and replace it. Unglued laminations have no strength. 1/4" plywood over it is not a fix.