Replace water line and valve to bldg from water meter - HOW

I have an older apt with old galvanized piping. The main water shutoff valve and main line at the bldg is old and corroded. The main line from the water company meter at the street goes under the concrete driveway about 30'. I need to replace the valve and maybe all the piping from the meter to the main valve. How is the best way to do this? Below are some options and would appreciate any opinions on the best and most economical way to do the job - the property is located in Southern Calif.

  1. Cut the concrete and dig out the entire line line and replace with new pipe and valve.
  2. Bore or tunnel out a new place for the line to go and push the line through the tunnel. I have heard of this but do not know how practical it is.
  3. Just replace the valve at the end. How do you attach the new valve to the old pipe while maintaining strength - assuming part of the buried pipe is strong.
  4. Any other ideas about new techniques that are being used.

Can copper pipe be used for the buried part of the line?

I would appreciate any advice on the above. Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Stromer2

Contract with a firm that specializes in service line replacement. They can pull a cable thru the existing line, yank it out, followed by the new copper line.

Investigate permits needed. Pay attention to the fact that the service line is also an integral part of the building's electrical grounding system and must remain intact.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You should replace the line completely and be done with it. A boring service can go right under your driveway without damaging it.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Quite practical. They dig down to the b-box (water main), and jack hammer a hole in the basement floor.

Direct boring, they will push steel rods from the street, until it reaches the hole in the basement floor.

They connect up flexible copper tubing (1" in my case) and then pull back, to pull the tubing all the way back to the street.

Connect up both ends, and your done. Was about $4K if my faulty memory serves me, the village paid for it, as it was part of the water main replacement. The basement floor gets concreted back up, new meter added, new shutoff valves, etc.

Almost no excavations are done in my area anymore, all the large plumbers have their own boring machine.

Reply to
John Hines

Apartment and your doing the work???? Shouldn't the owner be doing this?

Reply to
SQLit