repairing windows: glazing

Hi, everyone. I came here a few weeks ago for some advice and inspiration on repairing the windows in my old home. It's going fairly well, I suppose. At this point, it's hard to tell: I have the bottom sash off and in multiple pieces. My wife, God bless her, has mentioned nothing at all about the gaping hole in our kitchen wall.
Anyway, about that bottom sash: it originally had 4 panes of glass. I was wondering if there's any reason not to replace the 4 pieces with one large piece. Here's why:
- a single pane looks better by offering a clearer view - some of the original panes were already cracked, so I will need to buy glass anyway - I'm not concerned about being historically correct, as most windows in my house are single-pane - besides, I think some of the windows came from a salvage yard, so they're not historically acurate for my house anyway - I, er, managed to break off the muntins at the stiles... oops
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks, Joseph still-one-sash-to-go O'Brien

If you like the single pane, go with it. Years ago smaller panes were needed because glass making was difficult and large panes were very expensive. Some like the looks of the smaller panes, you don't so don't be constricted.
I don't know what your time is worth but you can buy a very decent quality replacement window for about 240$ US, the first one you install will take about 2 hours, then they go in faster. Double pane, well insulated and the first thing you notice is the quiet.
As for your original question, no reason at all not to use a single pane, go up to double strength glass in the process.