Repairing a garden hose - worth it?

Page 1 of 2

I have an old old garden hose that is all rubber. It does not kink, it's pretty heavy. The fittings on the ends are leaking and broken so they need to be replaced.
The hose is not the typical 5/8" size. It is 1/2". I cannot use the standard economy 5/8" hose menders. Instead I need to get a metal 1/2" barb to 1/2" MIP connector which cost like $5 a piece. Then I need another adapter to go from that to hose coupling - one male one female, and that's another $5 a piece, and of course two hose clamps. Altogether I would have spent $24.00 on fittings to repair the hose, when I can get a new one for $12.99 at the big box store and of course those are lighter but kinks easy.
What would you do?
MC
"MiamiCuse" wrote

Duct tape and use the leaks as a free sprinkler ;-)
I've tried mending hoses. Usually they spring yet another leak, and I end up wasting more money. I'd suggest to replace. Sadly, so.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
: I've tried mending hoses. Usually they spring yet another : leak, and I end up wasting more money. I'd suggest to : replace. Sadly, so.
That's the trouble with today's throwaway economy. I have over 200 feet of repaired hose - in 53 4-foot sections. It's a good investment with the way brass prices are headed. Pretty soon I'll have a 300-foot brass hose.
MiamiCuse wrote:

would any of these 1/2" fittings work for you ?
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/icat/12incoupling /

I'd fix it.

All of those have problems. IMO the best is the brass with hose clamp--- but that damp clamp gets caught on everything. The plastic ones are just too weak & I've never been able to get the crimp on stuff to work.
I have a couple brass ones with the saddle clamp like the plastic on that page. They work best for me. I can't find 1/2" ones- but a call to Nelson might turn some up- (Amazon.com product link shortened)
If I couldn't find those I'd replace the hose with the best hose the budget can handle. And save the old one for siphoning, and using for rub guards.
Jim

How long is the hose?
checkout garden hose fittings mcmaster.com
They have some very inexpensive ones that can go from 1/2" id to hose thread in one shot. This will greatly reduce your repair cost.
I use this mfr & model and they work great. Teknor Apex 5/8in x 50ft Neverkink Commercial Duty Hose I used to use heavy duty rubber hose, they work great and last a long time.......... but they are kinda heavy.
cheers Bob
DD_BobK wrote:

I'll second that. I have a couple of the 30-buck 100 foot 'commercial' hoses from Sam's club, and aside from metal galling freezing the nozzles on they have worked great. However, they do weigh a ton, and get kinda stiff in chilly weather. Draining and recoiling to put away in fall, the night before the first hard freeze, is a PITA.
-- aem sends...
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:22:30 -0400, "MiamiCuse"

First, stay away from the BORG if you want quality. Second, I'd take that $24.00 (and maybe a few more) and buy a hose that's at least as good as your old one. While you're at it get a 5/8" dia at least.
Gordon Shumway
One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.
MiamiCuse wrote:

Spend a few $ on 1/2" hose ends, or replace it. The 1/2" ends are easily available.

Don't forget that if this hose eventually bites the dust, you'll already have fittings for your next hose, or other hoses.
I otoh, keep gettting hoses out of the trash. I have four or 5 total now. I don't test them because I don't want to get them wet if I'm going to store them, but they look okay. This year, one of the two hoses I've been using for years has 3 leaks, sprayers. I left both hoses out all winter but had thoroughly drained them. (I have them on a hose real and I just cranked and went around and around and around in one direction, long after water stopped coming out the end.) Didn't bend them when it was cold. I think that one leaks and the other doesn't means the leaking one was just old. It might have been the hose the seller of the house left for me 26 years ago.

Hose fittings wont cost you 5$, but you convinced yourself its to much work.
MiamiCuse wrote:

I'd go to the store and buy end pieces for 1/2" hose for a dollar or two, nothing else needed. I like the clamp on plastic ones better than the "bend the flanges" type.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

They make replacement ends for 1/2" hose. You just need to shop around a bit more. I use the cheap plastic ones, they work fiine.

Is it the kind of hose with the black tubing on the inside?
That's the kind you use in campfires with a section of copper pipe inserted to make the cool colored flames.
Just don't invite Al Gore.

Toss it in the trash, Then go to Sears and buy a new one with the lifetime warranty. If it fails, you get a new one. But they have been very durable based on posts here.
Joe
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:22:30 -0400, "MiamiCuse"

Doesn't sound like it is worth it. But, there are an amazing number of uses for a piece of old garden hose. Garden hose is something you probably want to buy quality.

need
barb
have
easy.
Canadian hardware stores carry replacement hose ends for both 1/2" and 5/8" hose diameters. My experience has been that expansion- type fittings are OK but those that need external hose clamps are unsatisfactory. If US stores do not carry good replacement hose ends it is more prudent to replace the whole hose than to use inferior hose ends.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Don't they sell plastic fittings. I never paid that much for plastic. I repair hoses and elec. cords all the time.
in2dadark wrote:

I hate plastic fittings. once you run over them with the car once they are never the same. give me the heavy brass ones every time.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel