Repairing a Bent Wellhead

Page 2 of 3

You're going to be time and money ahead if you bring in a well service to fix the bent casing and check things out. This is not something you should be doing yourself for the first time at your level of knowledge.
Yeah yeah, I know you're "learning" by asking stupid questions, but some things like "don't tighten it too tight" can only be learned by watching someone else do it at least once.
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 17:11:27 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

Generally no. The "pitless adapter" is basically a pipe elbow in a wedge that connects the pump and pipe to the hipe heading to the house/tank.

if the ines are still down the hole you could execvate around the casing cut the top of the casing off carefully then pull the pump. just power line will not carry the weight of the pump.
you might call a driller pump company in your area.
its possible the well may have collapsed and they might know

They owners never told anyone about what happened. The well wasn't needed at the time, so they just put a bucket over the well head and ignored the problem. lol
It was working fine up until the truck backed into it.
ShadowTek wrote the following:

It was pumping water?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yes, the pump was working just fine when it was last in use.

But that was TEN YEARS AGO if I read your earlier posts correctly.
A lot can happen in 10 years. The pump has been sitting submerged in water for 10 years, unused. The odds of it still working at this stage of the game are slim to none.
Heck, the well could have collapsed.
Get a well service in there to check it out properly. It will be cheaper in the long run.
If the well is no good, you won't have wasted money running pipes and wiring from the new building. The new well will likely be somewhere else if you decide to dig another.

t.net ---- Hide quoted text -

There are other arrangements as well. I think the location and potential for freezing factors in.

The freezing isn't bad here as long as you keep everything burried.
The well had been used for years without any trouble.

t.net ---- Hide quoted text -

Agree with all the above, except to say that the pitless adapter can be 4 feet deep in colder areas on wells that run year round. It then has to be below the frost line.
As to the question of how far down the pump will be, that depends on the working water level in the well. The pump obviously needs to be well below the water level.
He could run it on a generator that supplies 240V, which these pumps usually are. For a residential well they are typically 1hp or less, so as long as you have a generator that can handle that load, you're good to go. I guess it would be good to figure out if it's 240V first too. :)

--- Not being able to see the well, or the picture, it's POSSIBLE the wire he is seeing is the power feed wire, and the pump, pipe, and power drop - along with the pitless adapter, have been removed???
On Jul 16, 1:53pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

nt.net ---

I can see removing all that _except_ the pitless adapter. That would require digging down the feed pipe for no gainful reason I can see. Leaving the adapter on the well casing wall would be expected.
Harry K

ront.net ---

I think he means the half of the pitless adapter that goes INSIDE the well was pulled along with the pump, which would seem a reasonable possibility. Another aspect of this is to look at how the wiring is done at the well head, ie where it's routed and goes. Normally there would be a splice point at the well head connecting the incoming wires to the wires coming up from the pump.

tfront.net ---

That part also should be missing. I, for one, wouldn't bother to replace it if I wasn't planning to use the well any more.
Wire should come up out of the ground in conduit, to a "weather head" then on into the well head where it gets all spliced to the pump wiring.
Harry K
what will OP use water for?
a new home on the site? if so they will likely have to get the septic tank re approved it might be too close to the well.
if OP is just using the water for irrigation then ground water contamination wouldnt matter

Ground water contamination in a well ALWAYS matters, because you pollute the whole aquifer.
On Jul 17, 3:08pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yep and the powers that be would get all excited about a decomissioned well that hadn't been plugged :)
Harry K
On Jul 17, 6:08pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

well if its polluted its already occured.......

It will be used for a different, existing home on a nearby site. This home was run from a well that supplied it and another home, and now each home will have its own well.
As for the septic tank, it's actually closer to the shared well than the damaged one.