Repair Vinyl?

I've got this ancient wood storm-door with a doggie-door installed. Vinyl flap on the doggie-door has been thru 14 wars and 3 police actions, and cannot be replaced. I've put many, many bandaids on it.
Any way to repair a tear in, say, sheet vinyl about 1/8 " thick?
Failing that, anyone know how/where I could find really heavy-duty nylon sewing thread? I can stitch the thing a little, but standard thread doesn't last long.
Thx, Willie
Willie The Wimp wrote:

can you post a link to a pic? I'd be tempted to tell you to replace the vinyl sheet, but you say it can't be replaced, but without more info I can't try to puzzle out why or why not.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

From the op's moniker and presentation, I would think duct tape would do him ;)

Atta boy Frank!!!

Wally World (Wal-Mart) in the sporting goods section. It is called mono-filament fishing line. I suspect 15-30 test is what you want.
The stuff they use to make draperies is about 6-8 pound test size and strength.
--
Colbyt

Hah! I think I got some 20-lb test in the closet.
Don't know I gotta needle it'll fit thru, but I'll find out.
Thanks, Willie
Willie The Wimp wrote:

I've had some luck using hot glue guns. Heat the material first with a hair dryer, then try to flow on a nice bead.
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:20:02 -0600, Willie The Wimp

    I would suggest looking at the auto parts store or a body shop that does convertible tops. In short I would suggest using some sort of material to cover the entire flap attaching it with a cement made to repair vinyl or convertible tops.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Lordy. How expensive is a new doggie door? What is your time worth?
(Not a big fan of pet doors, due to heat loss and the risk of strange animals wandering in, following their nose to the food.)
-- aem sends...
Willie The Wimp wrote:

I gave some clear vinyl material used to make strip doors/curtains for walk in coolers to a friend of mine to build a doggie door for his daughter's dogs. You could call around to find some scrap from a company that handles walk in coolers/freezers. You can also find the same stuff used on loading dock doors. I have bought rolls of the stuff and made many curtains for coolers.
http://www.stripdoorsforless.com/strip-door-use-and-size-chart.htm
http://tinyurl.com/czclr4
TDD

Other replies probably more fruitful but if you go with the stitching, a shoe repair shop (shoe repair string) or marine supply (sail thread) may produce uncommon strings.
Willie The Wimp wrote:

Get a tube of glue meant for repairing vinyl upholstery at your local Ace or Home Depot. Fill the tear with glue and let dry 24 hours.
For an improved fix, fill the tear with glue and put a light weight vinyl patch on each side, weight down and let dry 24 hours.
Or - as someone said - just duct tape it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Hi Willie! Sounds like trying to keep from landfill for a bit longer eh? I'd do same.
I read the other replies and here's what I'd do. 20-40lb test fishing line (20 will tie easier). Then, if you have or can borrow a hot glue gun, patch over the stitches. Preferably, find some heavy plastic (old shower curtin will do) and put a patch of that over the tear, sealed with the hot glue gun.
If you can't find a hot glue gun, I believe clear sealing acrylic such as you may have around to seal windows etc, will work and still be soft enough to not tear out.
Used in combination (stitching then patch sealing over stitches with something flexible enough to not crack once dry), I think it will last several months before needing any minor re-fixing.

You got it. Something breaks around here each/ever day.

I used to have a glue gun. I gotta search the basement.
I know I gotta window-seal kit. Seems the plastic is too thin, but I'll take a look
Thanks, Peetie

Initially I answered the question you asked because that is what I try to do. No preaching just a reply.
If you are now looking for other options visit the BORG and see what they have in stock. Consider what you might be able to field engineer to solve your problem. anything made of flexible vinyl that could be cut to the correct shape and size may very well serve your purpose if you can take the door flap apart and install it.
--
Colbyt
"Willie The Wimp" wrote

Grin, I have a 54lb 'beagle mix' (the other part is bull mastiff). I know the feeling! He's not too bad but thinks he's beagle sized so sometimes damages things by accident. Mostly the lower screening on the back screen door.
I've considered putting a doorbell down low on it and teaching him to use it.

(snip)
Same here only garage. I have 2 of them. Just not sure where!

Layered over the other, fixed, it may be workable. Next time you need to replace a shower curtin, save it. It makes for all sorts of interesting fixes. Oh and thought of something else that may be useful and even easier to 'sew' with. Waxed dental floss might work too?

Go to a shoe repair shop. Get the "thread" they sew soles on shoes. Indestructible. WW