Removing old wallpaper- trying figure out what kind of paper this is- Japanes style? help

I am in the process of removing what appears to be a Japanese style wallpaper that was installed maybe 25 years ago in a bedroom. It has a texture that feels like material- as I pull it off it brakes into strings/stringy...Does anyone know what this is called? Apparently trendy 25 years ago in US... As I pull it off, only the top layer comes off, lots of backing to remove... Anyone ever removed this type of paper?

No photo, ok Grasscloth.

I've used everything from plain hot water to miracle removers. For 50 bucks you can get a cheap Wagner at the Borg. Works best in my opinion even where glues were used to fix areas.
It's good that the top layer comes off. The paper underneath will absorb moisture of whatever method you use to remove.
You still have to wash the heck out of the walls to get all the residual paste off. Made any wallboard repairs, primed and painted. Never had any adhesion issues afterwards.
http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/wagner_705_spray,43321,747.html
http://tinyurl.com/yhk6tm6

I've had the best results with a steam remover. You can rent them.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in

I considered renting until I found I could own an adequate one for equal or less than the cost of renting once.
We are about to strip our bathroom....
thanks for the note on the Wagner Steamer..
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId051&langId=-1&catalogId053&productId0532752&N000003+528793+90401&marketID401&locStoreNum25
Next - I'll have to tackle the exposed wallboard.. which is to patch & feather all the little areas where the paint & wallboard was pulled away underneath the wallpaper in the first place.

This is one situation where priming before painting or re-wallpapering is an absolute must. Doesn't mean you can be laxed on removing the residual paste either!
Happy "sucky job" :-)
There are worse jobs, trust me. I spent 8hrs today under my house in a very low crawl space replacing missing insulation bats, fitting and nailing wood cross bracing and other fun shit. On top of being low, it's loaded with large flex duct. In some placed about 12" space to crawl under to get to other side. Can there be anything good in such a job? Well yeah, it's bone dry... but dust, Ughhhhhh! At least I ain't a 200 lb'r.
I was thinking, wtf would happen if I threw a back disc or the like under there?! I bet they would just whack up the floor, joist and new carpet for extraction. Having experienced a bad disc once, I think I'd be happy they did it that way.
Later, Hurtin' Red...

yeah - I'm really over in another thread about bathroom ceiling paint peeling off in sheets.
I'll use Kilz Primer around the room for any painted areas, or just the Kilz Bathroom Paint.
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:55:04 -0600, "ps56k"

That's not a good idea either. Kilz tends to crack or craze in this situation (happened to us and it was a *mess*). This is a case where a latex primer is a better idea. Actually, it would have been easier to rip out all the sheetrock out of the bathroom and start over. :-(

yeah, don't be ' laxed ' .
KOS wrote:

Sounds like grasscloth, which is pretty much like burlap. Can you get a corner of the backing started to peel it off? Probably not :o) Try spraying the stuff with warm water...if it soaks in, spray again once or twice and then try to peel it off. If the cloth comes off and the paper remains, use a Paper Tiger or very coarse sandpaper to score the backing. Be careful not to cut too deeply, or the wallboard will be damaged. Once you get the backing sliced up horizontally, spray with warm water, let it soak in, repeat, start scraping and peeling. No simple way to remove any kind of wallpaper, and it is always a messy but do-able job. Put down tarp or old towels to keep runoff from the flooring. The whole chore is to get water to the paste to dissolve it, and it is tougher if the backing or wallpaper is vinyl coated. Once you get the paper off, you need to wash the remainder of the paste from the wall if you are going to paint or the texture remaining on the paste will show through the paint. If smoothe, no problem. I always let the wall dry overnight before cleaning the remaining paste so I didn't risk getting the paper coating of the wallboard wet.

I think you need to try a steamer sometime!
Yea, no matter what it's a messy job as you say but I've found the steamer the least of all evils with minimal wall damage.
I bet you can open clams with it too.

Yes, I agree. That's the best solution I've found. The steam penetrates the paper and gets it loosened. At the same time, it seems capable of doing that without having the paper itself turn into mush, so you can still pull it off in larger pieces.

Once you get the adhesive layer softened with water, a multitool, Dremel, Harbor Freight, or whichever, will make rapid work of slicing through the goo to lift off the wallpaper. From $39.95 and up...
Joe