Removing grout with the GROUT GRABBER sawsall blade

Have you used this tool called the Grout Grabber?
http://www.groutgrabber.com/prod_tool_kit.html
If you have, please tell me about your experience. I'm curious if it works effectively or is squirrelly and a waste of money.
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF http://www.utahhousevalues.com
I asked a tile guy what to use. He said utility knife. It was slow but it worked. The grout knives at HD and Lowes are too thick.

It will probably work but you'll have much better control with the Fien Multimaster with it's carbide grout blades. I noticed the other day that Dremel now has a grout removal attachment.
Boden
Darrell wrote:

EL wrote:

rotary tool. It works great, until it breaks. And they cost $10 each at Lowes. I ran through several, before I gave up. I finally did it with a 4" dry cut diamond blade in my rotary saw. It cut the grout out real good, but you have to be really careful. The blade cuts tile as well as it does grout. If you try this you have to wear a dust mask and eye protection. It isn't something I would really recommend.
And of course no power tool will get right up to the edge. You wind up finishing up with some sort of manual cutter.
Bill Gill
I have a Milwaukee Jaw Saw. I have a pretty good idea if I used it with that tool, I would be destroying a lot more than grout.

Darrell writes:

Looks like just the usual carbide-grit edge, except on a reciprocating saw instead of a hand tool handle.
There is no easy way to do this. Doing it by hand is tedious. Doing it with a power tool ruins the tile. Take your pick.
Darrell writes:

The fact that they specifically say it removes "sanded grout" shows that this is being sold by fools. The pictured installation shows the tool being used on what is almost certainly non-sanded grout. And one would expect that sanded vs non-sanded has nothing to do with the usage or performance. If anything, it would better (if it works at all) on non- sanded.
$40 for a piece of stamped sheet metal, and a small grit blade? Is this some infomercial gimmick?
Thanks to all who contributed, I think this is the first time every post was useful and informative. Needless to say, I'm not buying the gimmick! I like the idea of the diamond blade on my small grinder ... may be too powerful though? All I want to do is remove 1/64 1/32 of an inch so the new grout will take.
I think I'll start with a utility knife and 100-pack of blades then go power if I can't endure. My first experience with Dremel stunk, wasted $50 on bits! Maybe I'll hire it done this time and watch a professional?
Darrell http://www.utahhousevalues.com
Darrell writes:

I found that whatever powered methods you try, it will work much better if thoroughly cooled, even flooded, with water. Abrasive bits, diamond types, etc., all last much longer that way.
On 5 Dec 2003 19:56:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@catmull.com (Darrell) wrote:

I didn't like the long thin spiral saw that came with my Canadian Tire tool either (Dremel style but larger motor.) My application is making cutouts in plastic sheet. Went to a machine tools supply shop and bought a milling cutter bit. Costs under $10. Works like a charm.

I used a large hanging hook screwed into a hammer handle. I used my grinder to put a narrow digging point on the end and it worked beautifully. Use lots of muscle with it and you can degrout a shower in no time at all.
PJ

Please give details. What is large hanging hook? Thanks Tom
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:37:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@its.caltech.edu (Tom Dunn) wrote:

http://www.mychefsfavorites.com/0/43/170/CEILING_SCREW_HOOK_CSHCH.html#Photograph
PJ