Removing green moss

The siding on my garage is just plywood covered with wood stain. The stain was wearing out so I'm restaining it. The bottom few inches of the wall in some places behind some bushes, has green moss on it. I scraped it off, but I think there is still some in the natural low crevices in the wood. I did wire brush it too. But I think I need to kill this moss before I restain. Should I just paint some bleach on the wall, let it sit awhile and hose it off, or is there a better way?

Thanks

Reply to
jw

There are fungicide additives for paint and stain (after you treat it). Treat it an dry it as best you can.

Reply to
Bob Villa

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Apparently, moss and algae don't like zinc. I've seen reports where thin strips of zinc (flashing or something like it) would leach enough zinc ions down with the rain or so that no moss or algae would start growing. It presumes that there is no moss or algae to start with, then keeps it that way. DAGS for details, as I don't know them.

Reply to
Han

A garden sprayer is an easy way to apply bleach, I would spray the whole wall , you wont know if you have mold on the whole wall till you see what effect bleach has on it, if its mold you will see the bleach working by changing to a white foamyness and any mold will go from black to usualy reddish brown. It possible the whole wall has some mold on it, it should be then scrubbed or powerwashed off, dont paint over mold. Stains should have an anti mold additive and you can by more of a additive, ive found molds to destroy stains in a few years so keeping it sprayed with bleach once in a while should keep the new stain lasting longer

Reply to
ransley

Aside: Han, I did a Google search for "DAGS"...and it didn't come-up! Are you trying to start this acronym? (DoAGoogleSearch)

Reply to
Bob Villa

Vinegar, among others:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Add some dawn soap to your bleach and water solution. It will help the soluition stick.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

Bob Villa wrote in news:5a6faac2-8987-46f1-b814- snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000vbk.googlegroups.com:

In some places DAGS is as common as YMMV

Reply to
Han

If it pertains to Google...you would think it would come-up in their search!?

Reply to
Bob Villa

I thought Han's search abilities were lacking, but it doesn't even come up on Wikipedia. DAGS must just be an a.h.r familiar acronym. Google may be trying to push their LMGTFY feature-- or prefer we use the more direct and forceful JFGI.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Here is what I use: 3 litres water, 1 litre bleach, with 1 cup liquid TSP and a squirt of dishwasher soap added.

Apply with a garden sprayer and leave for about 20 mins.

Rinse off with a pressure washer if you have one; otherwise, a garden hose. (The pressure washer/TSP combo will get rid of any loose stain).

(Liquid TSP is availabe at Home Depot. Powdered TSP, if not dissolved adequately, may clog the sprayer.)

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster