Removing dishwasher when Laminate Flooring runs right up to it

Hi,

We're in the final days of having our new house built with the first walk through scheduled for later this week, but one thing I wasn't sure about is the dishwasher and laminate flooring. The dishwasher sits on the concrete and the laminate flooring in the kitchen runs right up to the dishwasher -- dishwasher was installed before flooring. There's no gap between the top of the dishwasher and the bottom of the counter top, so my worry is that the dishwasher won't be able to be removed without pulling up the counter top or flooring.

In an email to the builder he said it would come out, which I'll have him demo when we do the walk through, but I wanted to do some research before then as well. I know it's not their first rodeo so I assume I'm just not seeing the 'trick' to getting it out, but with the dishwasher being so snug in there I'm just not seeing how to get it out when it needs to be replaced or repaired.

Thanks for any advise.

Sam

Reply to
Alex

Most dishwashers have adjustable feet near the front. When these get raised the DW should come out with no problem.

They look tight when all of the trim is installed but the piece at the bottom is adjustable to match the finished floor height. The top near the counter is higher than the body of the DW so once that clears the bottom of the counter you'll have plenty of clearance.

This picture shows a side view where you can see that they are smaller on the inside.

Limp Arbor

Hi, It can come out with little more work. Leveling legs can be lowered and it can slide out over the laminate top. Any how that is years from now. After 15 years oue DW is still running good.(knock on the wood!)

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This is a new house? I'm surprised the builder did it like that. Much easier to put flooring first, then cabinets and appliances on top. But as others have said, it can come out wih a little work.

Reply to
Mikepier

Yeah but the builder could save maybe $63 by not putting the flooring down first...

Reply to
Limp Arbor

re: "Much easier to put flooring first, then cabinets and appliances on top"

I've never had a house built, so this is new to me.

Are you saying that other builders would have put laminate flooring throughout the kitchen before the base cabinets were installed and then put the cabinets on top of that? Wouldn't that be a waste of a lot of laminate flooring?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How thick is your laminate flooring? As others have said, if it is not much you can adjust the legs on the dishwasher to allow it to clear the opening.

Reply to
Ken

First, if they are doing a really nice job, the time they save putting down flooring first (no cutting to fit against the cabinet bases...) Would almost pay for the extra flooring.

Second, the finished look is much better when putting cabinets on top of the flooring.

Also I've seen more than once where they put the flooring down just enough for the front of the cabinets to sit on, then use scraps under the back of the cabinets to keep them level. Very little waste and a nicer looking job.

Reply to
Tony

Take out the screw at the top center (usually) that holds it to the counter top and keeps it from tipping when the door is open' *then* raise the feet.

Reply to
dadiOH

My problem is laminate, in a KITCHEN???? No way, no how, never!

Hi, Men walking all over the new floor doing their work. Installing cabinets, what not. Think about it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yup, that's how we did the floor when we tiled. We figured out the center, laid the tiles about 3 inches over where the appliances and cabinets would start, and then used tile scraps in the back corners of each cabinet. The appliances had adjustable back feet for leveling. Not exactly rocket science and it looks great.

Reply to
tmclone

Umm, that's why most of us use tile or other mineral instead of laminate. Again, laminate in a KITCHEN????

Personally, I use tile, etc. in kitchens, baths, fireplace hearths, and entry ways, with hardwood (not laminate) everywhere else. Weenies are feel free to put down throw rugs, but I hate carpet. If it can't go in the washing machine (small bath mats) then I don't want it on my floor. I like to be able to actually wash/clean my house.

You don't get out much, do you?

Reply to
Ralph

For starters, every manufacturer recommends putting your cabinets in _B/4_ the flooring. Here's just one example. Scroll to item #13.

There's several reasons for this. Laminate needs to expand/contract, a permanent fixture on top of the laminate will prohibit this, causing problems. Another reason is if you need to replace panel/planks/tiles, and the cabinets are installed on top.....well, now you got problems.

You've never seen a professional install flooring then sit the cabinets on edge & shim the back. This would have to be one hell of a hack.

Please show just one manufacturer which would recommend putting the cabinets first. And, you've got to be kidding about saving time of not cutting/scribing around objects. A professional will cut around anything as fast as they will a straight cut. Good grief, just when I thought I heard everything.

Reply to
Ralph

As long as they used sealant around perimeter to eliminate water intrusion, you can rest easy. Getting the dishwasher to come out should be a non-issue. You should not be able to tell where the laminate stops, without sliding the front toe panel of the dishwasher.

Reply to
Ralph

PLONK!

LOL!!! Doesn't even get out much on Usenet. Here's a hint, it's a big World, and not everyone is going to have the same taste as you. Get used to it, or Plonk away. Pretty soon, you'll wonder why you're the only one on Usenet.

Reply to
Ralph

Way to go Ralph! That should say, "please show just one manufacturer, which recommends putting the _FLOORING_ first.

My bad!!!

Reply to
Ralph

Please show me one manufacturer who prefers laminate flooring over ceramic tile in a kitchen. The idea of laminate in a kitchen does not sound right. Usually you put laminate if you want to spruce up an existing kitchen or do a kitchen makover, but not in a brand new house.

Reply to
Mikepier