Removing a Broken Doorknob

Replacing a doorknob that was missing half of the door knob (1 of the two sides). the door is closed, and the strike blot is engaged. by twisting the one knob, it cant move or catch the latch properly, and by taking it off completely with the trim, leaves me with a bolt that is stuck. since the door is closed and cannot open, i cannot remove the two screws to undo the blot lock, i can only access it from inside the hole...how do i get this bolt out from the inside, or enough to get it to retract so i can open the door?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Can you "jimmy" the bolt with a credit card or putty knife inserted between the latch plate and the door edge?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

If you have access to the hinges, remove hinge pin and remove door. WW

no access to hinges and you cant jimmy the door with a putty knife becuase of a lip on the front door jamb. i think my only hoe is to try and reattach the half of a doorknob and twist it open, i dont know
On Mar 27, 7:47am, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Look in the goddamn hole where the doorknob was like people have been telling you to. You will see the latch mechanism. It is child's play to figure out how it works, then use a suitable flat-bladed screwdriver to either twist or pull whatever makes the latch release.
On Mar 27, 7:47am, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

.
first, is there a hole in the doorknob? try to get in there with an icepick or small screwdriver or something. If that doesn't work...
try to jimmy it again with a large (maybe 3"x5") sheet of flexible plastic. I used to use the plastic that protected those "pull in case of fire" placards that used to be above fire alarm pull stations but that's because that's what I had access to. If you can get something vaguely stiff but thin and able to be bent around the edge of the door, you may still be able to jimmy it.
Failing that, you may have to remove the lip piece of the jamb. should just be nailed on and then you'll be able to jimmy the latch easily.
nate

There is a thread on 23 Mar 09, 1:52 AM, that sounds a lot like your problem. Just thought that you could read through that for additonal hints on fixes. Good Luck!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Take a 16 pound sledge, go to the other side of the door and smash the sledge into the latch area a few times. If you can't get to the other side, simply use the sledge to bust a hole into the wall so you can pass and then smash the sledge into the latch area a few times.