Remove? exposed tar coating on foundation cinder block

I recently offset and reconstructed a retaining wall against the house, and it exposed more of the basement's (exterior) cinder block. The previosuly underground cinder block has tar coating (waterproofing) on it. The wife _hates_ how it looks. I think it would be awful to tar the rest of the wall, and I doubt the existing tar will come off without a sandblaster (or a pressure washer so strong that it would damage the cinder block). Any suggestions on what might look nicer?

Thanks, Theodore.

Reply to
millinghill

There is an exterior cement wall paint that you could even out the whole foundation. I recently had it done in a situation similar to yours. Paid but should have done the job myself. First the contractor went over all the small foundation cracks with silicone and then painted over. It looks good and corrected several spots I had repaired where color was never the same as the rest of the foundation and where some of the original cement finish flaked off exposing tar coating. All now a uniform white coating.

Reply to
Frank

May get posted twice as Google Groups post I made earlier did not show up.

I recently had my foundation coated with a white acrylic sealer type paint to cover up blemishes like this or crack repairs I had made over the years that did not blend in.

First the contractor covered any cracks with silicone caulk and then painted the whole thing. Now the foundation is a uniform white and looks good. I could have/should have done it myself.

Reply to
Frank

Thanks for all replies! Photo of existing condition:

I also suspect this is bad condition because wind-driven rain can hit top (unsealed) section of cinder blocks, be absorbed, and have nowhere to go but inside. Any product recommendations appreciated!!

Reply to
millinghill

I can't see how far that wall extends, but I'd consider putting one of the stone veneer products on the whole thing. The only obvious issues are if the thinset or whatever is used will bond to the coating that is there and the cost.

Reply to
trader4

The tarred area of the wall looks to be mostly parged, as it would be when intended to be buried. I had a small area about 6" tall that was exposed and tarred, across a 20 foot wall and I managed to use a wide masonry chisel to chip off the parging. It was slow and difficult but I managed to remove it all and then recoat it with a new color-matched parge to blend in with the bricks. Depending on how well it was applied sometimes the parge will come off in sheets, sometimes you have to chip away at the whole area.

Reply to
EXT