Remove crimp from PEX?

I recently did some plumbing and ended up bringing the lines for one sink through the wall too high. I don't want to toss out the shutoffs just because they are crimped to a pex line.

Is it possible to cut off the crimps? Any easy way to do so?

Reply to
Noozer

According to Noozer :

Can you pull the shutoffs back thru the wall and push out other holes? That'd probably be easier.

I'll bet there's a tool for this. Short of that, cut the pex off the shutoffs and see if you can get a beefy pair of side cutters or bolt cutters to grab the crimp. Or cut it with a metal cutting wheel on a dremel. Obviously, if you gouge the nipple, the shutoff is toast.

The bit of pex under the crimp is toast too.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

It depends on the PEX as to how you remove the crimp. For the stuff I use, Zurn, it is attached to fittings via a copper ring. You cut the PEX tube then use a special cutting tool to remove the ring. I suspose you could also use a Dremel and a cutting wheel - its just a copper ring, nothing hard or tough. The PEX tube would be toast either way.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Is the crimp itself PEX (Wirsbo) or a copper ring ? If PEX, a sharp utility knife- if copper, a dremel or roto-zip rotary tool with a small abrasive disc should cut thru it.

Reply to
Rudy