Remove caulking around sink?

O.K. since my wife doesn't read this group I can actually acknowledge that I screwed up when I caulked the bathroom sink. I have done tons of caulking in the past and have had very few problems however a few weeks ago I bought a new tub of caulking "tub and bath" and decided to caulk around the edge of our new sink, needless to say the caulking was drying in minutes not hours and when I tried to smooth it in it just went "WRONG". So now I need to know how to remove it with destroying my new sink and counter top? I've used a razor to get 90% of it and then tried a scrub pad and some fine steel wool without any success. Are there any chemicals that will remove this?

Also on Saturday my wife dropped a bottle of "bright red", my name for the colour not the official woman name, nail polish onto the tile floor I've also been able to clean up 99% of it with nail polish remover and a brush but the nail polish stained the grout in several area's, is there any way to get the colour out of the grout or do I need to pull out the grout and re-do?

Reply to
HotRod

There is a caulk remover you can get a Slowes or Home Despot, but it does not work well on silicone caulks. On latex caulk, you would just run a bead over the existing caulk, and the remover will soften the existing caulk, making it easily removable. YMMV.

Les

Reply to
Les and Gina

Not sure what happened but my original post does not appear on my newsgroup reader. Thanks for the reply I'll have a look.

Reply to
HotRod

I have had good luck removing old caulk by first heating it up with a heat gun. I am not sure if you could use a heat gun in the area where you intend to remove excess caulk though.

Reply to
scott_z500

Sanded or unsanded grout? white? Possible bleach. Scratch it out and regrout or try grout stain for those few areas.

Reply to
G Henslee

Didn't realize there was a grout stain. The grout is sanded and is "light brown" that has now been died pink. I think I might try a wire brush and try and take off the top layer.

Reply to
HotRod

Please quote in your replies. It's much more effective for communicating in usenet. G'luck with your grout. I believe AquaMix makes a grout stain.

Reply to
G Henslee

I find that a kitchen scrub sponges (the ones that are blue scrub on one side/blue sponge on the other) do alright. you scrub up off as much as possible with one sponge till it is caked with caulk, then toss it and try a new sponge

Reply to
c_kubie

Red nail polish will not bleach. Best bet would be to get some acryllic craft paint - test mix the colors - and dab on lightly over the nail polish. Put on very thinly, with stencil brush, should disguise it pretty well. Wipe it off the tile before it dries. Let the test patch dry so you know the color is right.

Reply to
Norminn

Try Goof-Off on the caulk. Hell, try it on the nail polish too.

Reply to
Hopkins

Acetone if its just the straight bath and kitchen caulk. Roto zip if its grouted caulk.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

I've managed to remove 99% of the caulking using "Something be gone" it softened the caulking enough to be able to use a razor and then some light steel wool to remove it all. NOW I need to work on the nail polish.

THANKS FOR THE HELP

Reply to
HotRod