remote ballast installation

I'm looking for information on how to install and use remote fluorescent ballasts and architectural fixtures. I need details, like what types of enclosures are available for the ballasts, where they can be mounted, how wire should be routed between the ballast and the fixture (conduit? flex conduit? something else?), what type of wire, and so-forth.

Anyone have a clue?

Reply to
bc

Are you designing your own light fixture?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Remote ballasts for flourescents is sometimes used in display cases. Tht might helpt your searches. You also might find more about remote ballasts for other types of hid lighting like high pressure sodium or metal halid. The ballast has to be a metal box. I think the wiring has to have a 600v rating for a lot of it because of the starting voltages. What I have seen has been in conduit. I don't think it's easy to find 600v wire in sheathed.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I would use some kind of raceway - EMT, flex, ENT, and try to keep it short. There is minimal information furnished, like number of wires. You can probably use #18 wire (which may only be available in fixture wire).

There is a wide variety of steel boxes available. Some do not have knockouts and you have to punch. Remember the ballast will be generating heat.

I remembered Romex was 300V. A temporary 480V machine connection I saw with Romex was tacky, but the 277V to ground was inside the 300V rating. I looked at a couple pieces of recent Romex and they were both marked 600V.

This is a good one to run by the inspector.

(High pressure sodium starts with a short high voltage pulse. The capacitance from remote wiring the ballast is likely to kill the pulse.)

Reply to
bud--

The flouro fixtures used in display cases use remote ballasts, and the lamp heads connect with some HV rated (1KV I seem to recall) flexible cord to a special plug.

Reply to
Pete C.

There are starters for hps that handle remote ballast. Some go up past 50 ft I believe. Just has a higher pulse.

Reply to
jamesgangnc