Reinstalling Hollywood Strip Bathroom Light Fixture

So i removed my old hollywood-style bathroom light fixture in preparation to put in a new one. However, decided not to go with the new one and tried to reinstall the hollywood light fixture with no success. There is no junction box in the middle where you expect the fixture to be mounted and the wires are just fed through a hole in the wall. Thus, to attach the fixture to the wall, there were two holes drilled near the ends of the fixture and two 3" machine screws to screw in. The problem is that there appears to be nothing inside the wall to attach the machine screws into. No nut, no nothing, just air. I stuck a scewdriver in the holes that is 4 inches longer than the screws and still hit nothing but air. I am 100% positive that the screws were attached to something as it took me quite a while to unscrew them to the fixture off but now i'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas what on earth these are supposed to attach to so the fixture is secure? Thanks.

Reply to
mikehava

Either toggle bolts for a heavier fixture or plastic drywall anchors for lighter ones. Sounds like the hole may be so large that toggle bolts are the option now. As you noted, there should be a box too.

Reply to
trader_4

Darn! I actually was going to say the same thing. Finally, something I knew the answer to... SHOUTS "TOGGLE BOLTS!!" HAHA

Reply to
Muggles

Thanks for the info. So the bolts just fell off when i unscrewed them and are now sitting on the floor behind the drywall?

Reply to
mikehava

The expanding toggle nuts did, yes...you've got the bolts (machine screws, actually).

Reply to
dpb

Thanks, toggle bolts worked!

Reply to