refrigerator water contains strange particles

When water chilled, amount of calcium that can be disolved at 75F is higher than at 35F. Same applies to other salts and minerals. What you see could be just result of hard water been chilled.

Reply to
Brian

Hi,

Something that may help....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

In Jul 14 2002 this post appeared and was discussed about a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator.

Old POST ""Lately I noticed when I got water from the refrigerator water dispenser on the front door, there are tiny white transparency particles floating inside the water.""

I also have a Whirlpool sbs and have the same white particals floating in my water. The answer back in 2002 was the tubing in the cooling line was desintigrading and showing up in the drinking water. My SBS is a 2003 model and I wonder if this has come up again or if anyone knows if Whirlpool is fixing this problem.

I just contacted Whirlpool today and it looks like they are going to give me the old run around.

Sue

UP and Adam

Jeff, I just sent a query to your company using your page, Being a rather new fridge, would it have a cooling box? I can see the cooling coils but would the 2003 made coils be going bad ?

John/Sue

Reply to
UP and Adam

Hi,

?Cooling box?

Sure, anything is possible :(

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

What I ment to say was "water resovoir" rather than cooling box. I don't think my fridge has one? So If I was to replace my cooling tube, would I end up doing it again in a couple of years again? Why can't the manufactures make a tube that holds up, that is an important feature to us, my wife is back to buying bottled water.

To us, it seems like buying a car and having the entire fuel line go bad after two years. If it happened a lot there would be a recall.

John/Sue

Reply to
UP and Adam

When we had a plumber hook up our ice maker, he suggested using hot water rather than cold. We did.

Reply to
Norminn

Sounds like scale build up to me flaking off going into the water. I cant ever recall a plastic tube disintigrating just from water going through it.

Reply to
hiebs

We have been doing test on chilling water but none so far have had white floaters. I did send Whirlpool back an e-mail and got a second response saying that they would pay to have a repairman come take a look at it at their expense.

j/s

Reply to
UP and Adam

G'day,

If you get a chance, post what he/she finds out...should be interesting!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Jeff, here is a little history that I did not post before.

When we found the white particles, the filter was way over due for a change, however the green indicator light never went out or changed. I may have cause the entire problem right there.

After changing the filter and still having the problem, I ran household bleach through the system via filling the filter with about

3 shot glasses and did this 2 times. I then let it sit after it was through the system for about 20 minutes each time. I know, it's not good for the filter but we weren't going to drink the water anyway. All this did was to break up the white particles into smaller pieces. This kind of told me that it was not bacteria and might be lime scale or something similar or even the tube.

Today, I just cut open the old filter and partly removed the cartridge, to my surprise; there was a very thin cardboard looking wrap around it. It is very brittle and looks like it might be a possible source of the problem.

In any event my wife now says that no matter what anyone does, she will never drink from that source again. If I change the tubing and the filter, she will, providing there are no particles. Looks like that's the way I'm heading.

John

Reply to
UP and Adam

Thankx for the update!

Should help others!! :)

jeff. Appliance Repair aid

Appliance Repair Aid

The mystery of the white particles has been solved. I need to recap a little so you can see the problem, ME.

The fridge was new in 2003 and it has a green light that will change color when the filter needs changing. The light never changed and I guess I lost track of time, whoops.

When I found the white stuff, my first thought was bacteria and I ran bleach though the system. This only broke up the white stuff into smaller pieces. Then I thought it was plastic coming apart.

Last weekend, thinking that it must be minerals, I decided to try a last ditch effort to fix or break it. I removed the filter again and got some Lime-away. I pre tested the lime-away on the old filter element and there was no explosion, haha. I put about 3 oz into the filter and reinstalled it. I ran some through and about every 30 seconds burped the water switch to relieve any pressure build up. After about 20 minutes I ran about 5 gallons of water through the system to get clean water. (Tons of junk came out).

I now have perfect water with nothing in it; looking with very high magnification it is very very clear.

Lesson learned, change the filter often. Things to do, send Whirlpool an apology.

John

Reply to
UP and Adam

How did you get the filter apart? Ours is a Kenmore and it looks like it is molded as one piece except for one place towards the bottom and I don't see how to separate it into two pieces toput the lime away in

Reply to
Linda

replying to Linda, Scott wrote: I also thought I had bacteria in my water reservoir tubing. I removed filter to run chlorinated municipal water through fridge with no improvement (apparently water filter de-chlorinates water before dispensing it). I then ran high-pressure Clorox bleach solution through water dispenser AND ice-maker by connecting pressure sprayer to water inlet at back of fridge. As I recall, several webpage recommend something like 1:10 dilution for disinfection, but I used 1:4 ratio just to be sure. Regardless, this didn't help. After reading UP and Adam post, I plan on doing same thing with generic calcium rust cleaner (i.e. Lime Away); this should NOT be mixed with bleach, but I've already flushed out the system by reconnecting municipal water. I hope this works for me and/or helps you.

Reply to
Scott

Linda posted her request on MARCH 17, 2014

Now we have Scotty replying almost two years later to an ELEVEN YEAR OLD POST. Another genius from HomeMoaners Hub awakes from a coma and has lost his ability to see dates on posts.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

replying to ItsJoanNotJoann, Cool your jets wrote: Maybe other people are finding this site and ok with reading late replies? Chill.

Reply to
Cool your jets

replying to UP and Adam, Leon wrote: I have a brand new whirlpool 3 door. I flushed 8 - 2gallon bucketsiver 2 days and still have small white particles floating. Never had this problem with Frigidaire . This is a piece of shit . sorry I bought it.

Reply to
Leon

You have a warranty. Get someone out there to check it. Did you put in new tubing to the fridge? That could be part of the problem. Is there a filter? A good deler would be happy to help you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to Cool your jets, Michael wrote: Wow, ItsJoanNotJoann. I wanted to read Scott's update. You suck.

Reply to
Michael