Refrigerator Warm - Most Common Solution

My 25 year old Sears Coldspot refrigerator (Whirlpool) was starting to not cool well and the temperature measured 50F degrees. The freezer worked good still.

I noticed the fan in the freezer wasn't blowing as much air as it use to. I wanted to fix it myself so I read a lot of posts here and learned that this is a common cause of the refrig being too warm problem. (I learned after all this that the refrig should be about

36F to 40F and freezer -5F to 5F.) Some post said clean and oil the fan bearings and others said to replace it because cleaning and oiling won't be good enough because the bearings are wearing out.

Well, I wanted to save money so I took the fan apart and cleaned it very well and then used 3 in 1 oil. It looked like new and spun easy. The fan was turning faster than before and I thought I had fixed it. Well, the refrig was colder (about 43F) but about 2 months later the refrig was back to 50F. This time I bought a new evaporator fan (Sears $37 and it came with the blade) and I want to tell you it totally fixed the problem.

When I hooked the old and new fan up for comparison, before putting the freezer panels back on, I could not tell a lot of difference in fan speed. I was wondering if I wasted $37. But, after putting the panels back on, the increase fan speed was more apparent. This extra speed is very important. My refrig is back down to 38F and the freezer measures 0F.

Don't try cleaning the fan, the post and wed sites that say not to are correct. They aren't just trying to sell you a part.

I noticed that some people are having their evaporator fans go out after just a few years. I'm lucky my first one lasted 25 years.

Reply to
Bob

Good job but 25 year old refrigerators are so energy inefficient that a new one would probably pay for itself in 2 years unless electricity is free where you live.

oiling

extra

Reply to
Art Begun

Oiling a refrigerator fan motor rarely last for long (if it does anything at all) especially if you just use general purpose household oil. Those fan motors are not usually so expensive that it is worth having to take the fridge apart multiple times and/or risk the loss of spoiled food.

Fix it once and fix it right!

BTW. On fridge models with a condenser fan by the compressor, should have their condenser coils (hot part) under the fridge *thoroughly* cleaned several times a year. Doing so will allow the fridge to work as well as possible while using the least amount of energy.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

And if its a unit bearing motor, you cant do any of that...except replace it for about $10..

Umm...you do say later on its a 25 year old unit right?? Sheesh...why even bother to try to clean it...that should have been done about 10 years ago.... When you REPLACED the frige..

Ok..two things here... One..unless you have a tach for the single purpose of measuring motor shaft speed, YOU cant tell much difference.... two-Blade pitch...someone could put in a fan motor that turned 1.3 as slow, and moved twice as much air...and you would have gotten the same results...

Umm...not always correct...nor is your blanket post that covers that....but thats ok...

An as someone has already told you...a new refrigerator will save you more than the the $40 you spent on the fan..first year, and in some cases, perhaps, even in a couple of months..

Reply to
CBHvac

Hi,

Good advice!! Glad to hear you got the fridge repaired :)

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

This is Turtle.

In the future here if you do try to oil a evaperator fan motor don't use 3 in 1 oil or any kind of regular oil to oil it with. Any kind of regular oil has water in it and it will not lube the motor well at zero degrees. You have to use refrigeration oil to not have a drag on the bearing at that low temp. .

Now the best is get you a new one and be done with it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I got Item not found.

Don .

Reply to
Don Wiss

Hi,

A different one....

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Don Wiss wrote

It works for me Don. Sorry, I don't know where the problem would be.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

I know some firewalls won't allow that style of a link to work :(

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Mine is one of the first energy efficient models. A new one will only save $2.50 a month or $30 a year. We will probably buy a new one the next time we move (about a year from now).

Reply to
Bob