Refrigerator Repair Troubleshooting

I found a few previous postings with somewhat similar problems, but none entirely the same as mine...

35 year old GE refrig, compressor not running. When I plug it in, the compressor fan starts. Then I hear a click. Then a few minutes later I hear another click.

The compressor doesn't seem to start at all. I tried to get to the relay to check the voltage, but the wires are so old they cracked and broke. (Very difficult to access.)

If I know for sure it is the compressor, I will buy a new fridge. But, if there is a chance it could be fixed with a hard start kit, I could try to replace the broken wires.

Lastly, fridge is a 35 year old garage fridge. Considering the possibility it is the relay and/or cap (which is a $30 fix) would I still be better off buying a $400 cheap new fridge from an energy-efficiency perspective?

Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
denniss11422

If the wire is unsafe why would you WANT to fix it? Are you looking for a fire?

Reply to
SQLit

I can't help you with the trouble shooting, however, my opinion if it is a relatively cheap fix, your 35 year old fridge is probably superior to any cheap fridge you can by today. Particularly if it has a porcelainized steel interior shell.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

??? I said the wires were brittle from being old and cracked when I tried to move them to get to the relay. SO, at this point I cannot plug it in to check voltage across the compressor because the wires are now broken. Thus, I need to decide whether to go to the trouble of replacing these wires, just to test the compressor. Or, installing a hard start kit, which will have NEW wires on it and hoping that fixes the problem.

Reply to
denniss11422

Yes, it does have the procelainized interior. Some of the trim inside the doors and at the corner is plastic

Reply to
denniss11422

This is Turtle

Me Having the test equipment and a second hand hard start kit with capasitor built into it. i would test iot. Now you buying a hard start and testing at a cost of $30.00 and then looking at a New Refrigerator for $400.00. This is a judgement call and if you was looking at it as nothing but a item of your home and no manly thing about you you like to fix things yourself. Replace the refrigerator but if your a fix it yourselfer like most men are. Buy you a Hard start kit and try it out or go for it.

Here is a Hard Start Kit I like to keep around to test with on any type refrigerator or freezer in the future. i would get the SUPCO / 3 in 1 Start Kit / 115 volts / Model # RC0410 or

to pick one. This thing replaces the over load, start relay, and the capasitor. If it will run it will run on this thing. Now if you prove the compressor is bad , You can still keep it in the future and test any refrigerator or freezer that you or the friend has to test to see if it is the compressor or the hard start.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Dennis,

Our Sears Kenmore Refrigerator was doing the same thing. Last Tuesday the repairman came and said the compressor was out. It would come on and then go off and then you would hear a click. I'm not a repairman....but, IMHO...it's the compressor....since this is the third one that will be going in our 3 yr old Fridge! Good Luck!

Reply to
JasmynJade

I'd suggest the hard start kit. As Tutrle wrote, Supco makes a good one. Gemline also makes a hard start kit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Before spending a penny on the repair I'd try to figure out the the payback due to energy efficiency of a new frig. It might be as short as a few years.

Reply to
Bennett Price

The compressor is a very simple and foolproof electromechanical device. Other than for refrigerant depletion (rechargeable) it should last forever. In your case just replace the power cable and clean the relay mechanism. You should be able to unclip the relay cover to expose the relay parts. Clean with varsol. Do not use alcohol as that will dissolve the shellac coating on the wire electromagnetic coil. If this fix doesn't work just junk the fridge. Its not worth spending the money and time on it.

Reply to
PaPaPeng