Refrigerator freezes food

I have an older electric GE refrigerator (about 1975, model TB125VB) that I am having trouble with. It contiues to freeze the food in the refrigerator compartment no matter how low I set the thermostat. I have changed the thermostat and it still contiues to freeze the food. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Check out www.appliance411.com and www.repairclinic.com
You may also want to consider buying a new fridge if the cost of repairs is more than a few bucks. It will pay for itself in electricity savings over a couple of years. I bought a new unit twice the size of an old one and the electric bill went down $10 a month.

Freezing the food in the refrigerator area is about 99% of the time caused by the thermostat hanging up. You changed the thermostat but did you get the right one for there is 3 diffienent type and 134 different variations of those 3 types. Out of the 400+ different thermostat, 3 or 4 of these may work properly if your lucky. The right one means a lot in getting it to work right.
The 1% that the thermostat is not the problem is a refrigerator plate cooling type with a standard cold control type thermostat. They stopped making these over 20 years ago.
TURTLE
I had a similar and possibly related problem on a SubZero. It turned out to be a problem with the fan which was supposed to circulate the air in the refrigerator when the door was closed did not work, allowing some areas inside to be colder than in others, causing unstable temperatures and freezing. The door hinges had sagged enough that the switch was not being activated. I adjusted the door and now the temp is stable throughout and I don't get freezing in the refrigerator. Bob
--
Remove NOSPAM from address to reply
"Brian" < snipped-for-privacy@gmx.net> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@gmx.net (Brian) wrote in message
Hi,

I couldn't tell, frost free style, dole plate cycle defrost style, manual defrost style?

Where does the cold control capillary tube attach to? Freezer temp is?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote in message

I couldn't tell, frost free style, dole plate cycle defrost style, manual defrost style? Manual defrost
Where does the cold control capillary tube attach to? Attached to the coils in the refrigerator compartment
Freezer temp is? I haven't checked but I can check if necessary.
Thanks everyone for all the replies. Brian
snipped-for-privacy@gmx.net (Brian) wrote in message
Hi,

Freezer is manual defrost but the fresh food section has cooling coils in it at the top back?....if yes, this should be a cycle defrost refrigerator. The coils in the fresh food section should get frosted over to keep things cold and the the coils in the FF section defrost every time the refrigerator cycles off. If the refrigeration system is weak ( inefficient compressor, leaker ) the cooling coils in the FF section may not be getting cold enough to satify the cold control and it cannot shut off = runs too long and freezes things :( You would need a service tech check the refrigeation system and gas charge to confirm this.

I thought is the refrigeration system was weak the freezer may be a bit warmer than normal.

jeff Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /