refrigerator freezer troubles

Page 5 of 8
Hi All,
I am breaking my no eMail after 8:00 pm rule as the typo's flow like water. So I can't be held responsible!
Epilogue:
After running up to Reno three times, I finally got the right relay part. The proper part number is 2213105 and has been replaced by 8201769. The part number in the parts list (8201769) was a complete joke. Reading the part number off the actual part cured the problem.
Appliance Parts was very gracious about exchanging the wrong part, since I had not open up any packaging. When the held the old part in their hand, they just shook their heads. Apparently, I am not the first person with the problem.
The symptom was poor cooling and a transient smell of burning rubber.
The condenser fan was found to leaking oil and was replaced. Air flow increased substantially. Also the lower coils were coated in dust. They were cleaned.
The compressor and the relay made no noise. My wife described the typical noise as a snap, followed by a short whooshing noise. None were present. Stormin' told me to look for noise.
Measuring the resistance of the condenser came out normal. Measuring the voltage to the relay was also normal at 115 VAC. A rattling noise was observed when I shook the relay in my hand. The new relay had no rattle.
Also, the capacitor fit perfectly on the the 8201769 replacement relay.
When I FINALLY replaced the relay with the correct part and plugged the thing in: no noise. S***! Then about 5 seconds later a loud snap and a rattle from the compressor. The rattle diminished in about 8 seconds to quiet. S*** again. So I unplugged it and let it sit. This time a loud snap, but no rattle.
Oh No! Then I realized that once the condenser gets to pressure, it becomes silent. It also takes a long time to release that pressure. It also says my condenser is in good shape.
My compressor is a Matsushita (Panasonic's parent company). Yippee!
So I felt the outgoing and incoming freon lines. The outgoing was hot and the incoming was cold. 2x yippee! I take back the bad words. Then I felt the air coming out the front of the unit. It was warm. 3x yippee!
The refrigerator cooled faster than I remember it ever cooling (I can remember back to 2001). In about 1/2 hour it was down to temperature. My wife has been playing with the controls to cherry it out. This morning it was -2F in the freezer section and 32F in the refrigerator section.
Lessons learned:
That part number on the part trumps the parts diagram
Parts diagrams are only an aid. They are not exact.
Always take the part with you
Measure the voltage to the relay
Measure the resistance across the pins on the compressor
Look at total cost of ownership, not just the original price of an appliance. (New refrigerators are now 5 to 7 year units. Better to repair an old, good unit.)
Changing compressors (soldering/welding, purging, recharging) is over my head. But nothing else is!
Listen to your wife. She will know every noise that goes bump in the night. Women are more observant than guys anyway.
Always go fishing (hey, it clears your head)
I really appreciate all the help and encouragement everyone gave me. Special thanks to Stormin', who kicked it when finally provided with the proper information.
Man that refrigerator is working nice now! And now that I have fixed it, I have a certain pride in it too.
-T
On 09/11/2014 09:11 PM, Todd wrote:

I am, tired.
The part number on the original relay was 2218853, replaced with 2225929.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
CY: Text inserted inline after my initials. On 9/12/2014 12:11 AM, Todd wrote:

CY: Great wisdom in getting the actual number off the part, when possible.

CY: I can believe that.

CY: Both very important. I've seen refrig failures due to bad fans, and also due to dust.

CY: Would that be "listen for"?

CY: I suspect you mean "of the compressor".
Measuring the voltage to the relay was

CY: I'd likely not have noticed that.

CY: Sounds odd.

CY: Most of the time, condenser doesn't make any noise at all. It's just a series of tubes and fins.

CY: Yes, that does sound normal.

CY: Sounds ideal. Might be a bit cold in refrig, but no big worries.

CY: Glad to be of some help.

CY: In some churches, pride is a sin.
On 09/12/2014 05:39 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes

My favorite tech told me to look for that when I called him the second time on the phone. He also told me to try smelling it.

Not really. Pressure had not dissipated.

Should have said "compressor"

Still tweaking.
I am thinking that it is better not to block the top back of the refrigerator cavity, so the wind from the freezer section can evenly blow over everything and not create a frozen stop in the back of the refrigerator.

You are correct. Warm fuzzies from accomplishment are different than conceit (bad pride), especially when the warm fuzzies come with a sense of humility. Humility is the opposite of the bad pride you are speaking of. The Lord touched me and my family through the entire learning curve, both directly with encouragement and indirectly through the friendship of others.
Thank you for helping me with this.
What is your technical opinion of me purchasing both fans and an extra relay in advance of the next failure? My thought is that the parts may not be available in 10 years or so and I really, really don't want to purchase a new, 5 to 7 year refrigerator.
-T

CY: I've mixed up part names. Happens to most folks.

CY: I thought I was (am) your favorite?

CY: Glad that worked out.

CY: You'll get it.

CY: about 1975 or so, someone gave my family a mimeographed print of the warm fuzzy story. I remember it well enough, I can probably tell it. Nice to know you are effective partly of your self, and mostly through God's help, and partly through your friends' help. Having the gift of the Holy Ghost (through ordinance) I enjoy personal revelation often enough.

CY: The fan in back is probably a two watt clockwise unit fan, and should be available. If that's the case, don't tie up your money. The start relay you can sub a Supco hard start kit. The evaporator fan in the freezer might be hard to source. If I'd buy any of these, it would be the evaporator motor.

Todd;3282719 Wrote: >

That's the reward you get at the end of a long and difficult journey. You just have to decide if the reward is worth the difficulty. To many it is, and to many it's not.
--
nestork

On 09/11/2014 10:26 PM, nestork wrote:

And I only lost about $20.00 in food spoilage too
On 09/11/2014 11:22 PM, Todd wrote:

And friends I never knew I had.
I am writing the second $25.00 check to my favorite repairman who graciously talked me through things over the phone, including once at 9:30 at night.
Can someone explain to me the purpose in engaging in such a discussion.
Do any of the participants actually believe they will change the other person's beliefs by arguing with them?
Todd: For a guy who just got help from Stormin fixing his fridge, you don't seem very appreciative. That comment about smacking him on the head with a rolled up newspaper or having him fix your fridge in Heaven did not go unnoticed. Does your religion condone your forgetting all about who helped you the minute you no longer need their help? You can quote scriptures till he11 freezes over, what MATTERS to the people around you is the way you treat them right here on Earth, and you're not setting a very good example. Are you going to come back here hoping to get Stormin to help you again next time your fridge craps out? Can't you recognize that he helped you out of his good will, and just let him abide by his religious beliefs and you abide by yours?
I just feel that this whole thread has been an exercise on what people shouldn't do. Todd comes in for help. Stormin helps determine what the problem is because he has a lot of experience in refrigeration. Then we end up with an argument on religion where Todd suggest he's going to be smacking Stormin upside the head with a rolled up newspaper in heaven and having him fix his celestial fridge. If that's what being Catholic or Christian is all about, I want no part of it.
Sorry for causing a stir, but this had to be said, and I'm the kinda guy who'll say what needs to be said.
--
nestork

On 9/13/2014 7:15 PM, nestork wrote:

I'm here in this discussion in the hopes that someone will feel the Spirit and further investigate what the LDS church has to say. It's difficult to gently explain the LDS teachings when there is scripture bashing (and rolled up news paper bashing) going on, but I gently continue to do my best. It is also difficult when someone continues to misrepresent what the LDS church teaches, endlessly and repeatedly. I use that as a chance to gently describe what real Mormons believe. Which results in more false doctrine (what Mormons "DON'T" believe) and more chance to explain. Then the contention, argument, bashing, and false doctrine really become more obvious. As I mentioned a couple hours ago, Mormons don't bash or argue, we explain what we know to be true and invite others to learn more. Todd displayed this behaviour and this spirit in at least one other thread on the list. And he's taken it to private email, where he has done exactly the same thing. I consider Todd a very graphic reason of why Joseph Smith Jun. had to take his question first to the Bible, and then to the woods to ask of God. I'd be asking questions, too, if Todd were the pastor or "Christ"ian who lived near me.
On 09/13/2014 06:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I haven't the slightest idea of what you just said.
On 9/14/2014 1:26 AM, Todd wrote:

Yippee! Another chance to post Mormon teachings.
Articles of Faith Thirteen basic points of belief to which Mormons subscribe.
Reading Scripture One of the first things we’re taught as children are the Articles of Faith — 13 statements that summarize our fundamental beliefs.
Two years before he died, the Prophet Joseph Smith wrote them in a letter to a newspaper editor, John Wentworth, who had asked for information about the Church.
Ever since the Articles of Faith were written, they’ve inspired and directed us in the basic principles of our gospel. They enhance our understanding of certain doctrines and help us commit to living them. They invite further thought. And they’re a good tool for explaining our beliefs to people unfamiliar with them.
13 Articles of Faith
1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
On 09/14/2014 04:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi Stormin',
Made me look up "paradisiacal". :-)
This is a wonderful synopsis of your faith. This would explain why so many good people are Mormon.
Thank you for sharing it with me. And thank you for calling it Mormon and not Christian. There is overlap between the two but also a lot of divergence.
-T
On 9/14/2014 3:36 PM, Todd wrote:

Seemed like the right moment to post that. Hey, I'm open minded. There are some Christians who are not Mormon. I'm willing to admit that some people who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) might be believers in Christ.
Mormons are a subset of a larger field called Christians, like Whoppers are a subset of a group called hamburgers on buns. Now, we have the chance to decide which is the true hamburger.
On 09/14/2014 12:50 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi Stormin',
Not the same guy(s). Mormons are there own religion.
And, yes there are lots of Christians out there with various minor differences in what we believe. But, we all believe in the "same" guy. Your Jesus and your gods are much different than our only god, much different.
And here is the thing about tolerance between religions. You have to understand that if you assert that your guy(s) is the same one as my guy, what your religion believes about my guy is deeply offensive to us (non-virgin birth, sex with humans, multiple gods, the Bible is wrong, etc.).
It is better to just say you are your own separate religion. Then there will be no offense between us. And we can appreciate each others good works.
-T
On 9/14/2014 4:10 PM, Todd wrote:

The reason your teachings and the Latter-day teachings are different, is that your guys didn't have a way to keep the doctrine pure, after the Crucifixion. The church fell into apostasy. Thus the need for a restoration.
Yes, it's the same Jesus in the Bible and in the Book of Mormon. Which is why the LDS church teaches extensively from the King James Version.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 09/14/2014 03:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi Stormin',
The Orthodox church has been there since Jesus founded it on the faith of his disciples. Same church, same teachings for the last 2000+ years. The Orthodox church, among other things, has been given the responsibility to preserve that faith. It has done so rather well. One unbroken faith stretching back 2000+ years. No one fell anywhere. You can easily verify what I say by opening history books on the subject.
Speaking of the King James, do you have a problem with
Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.” --Acts 1:9-11
Something missing? Something not quite right? King James has Jesus going to heaven, not a word about "Hey guys, I am off to the new world to form a sinful polygamist family with a bunch of these women."
By "Apostasy", I have to think that you mean you do not like what the Ancient church teaches/taught. Or the King James for that matter.
You are picking and choosing what you want from the King James.
By the way, when I visited Grease, I walked where Saint Paul walked. There is voluminous archaeological evidence of the early Christian and the Jewish faith from where we came. You can even view the original Bible texts.
On the other hand, no one can view your original texts. There is zero archaeological evidence of Jesus coming to the new world, let alone living a sinful polygamist life here. All DNA testing of the American Indians says they are Mongolians and not the tiniest drop of Hebrew blood.
What a feeble god to leave no sign of his existence in the new world. Have you walked in the footsteps proof Jesus in the new world? You can travel to middle east and walk in the footsteps of the Christian Jesus and his apostles footsteps, as I and so many others have.
If you are really believing you are a Christian, then be one. Mormonism are not even slightly close to what Christians believe, other than you reused our names. If you think you are a Christian, I am afraid you are the victim of a terrible fraud.
Speaking of the being respectful of other's religions, we know exactly what Saint Mary Magdalene did after the Christian Jesus ascended into heaven. She spread the Gospel all over the place. Her goings and comings are well documented, to the point where she holds the title "Equal to the Apostles". If you assert she did not and instead went to the new world to live a sinful polygamist life with Jesus, you are bearing false witness against both her and Jesus.
This is why I keep trying to get you to just say you are a Mormon. You do not believe anything resembling what Christians believe. And to top it off, what you believe about us is repugnant and morally offensive to us. If you just say you are your own religion, then different strokes for different folks. The Lord created all kinds. Don't claim to be what you are not.
-T
On 9/14/2014 11:02 PM, Todd wrote:

http://www.fairmormon.org/perspectives/publications/archaeological-evidence-and-the-book-of-mormon
It is also worth noting that there is a growing body of evidence from New World archaeology that supports the Book of Mormon. Dr. John Clark of the New World Archaeological Foundation has compiled a list of sixty items mentioned in the Book of Mormon. The list includes items such as “steel swords,” “barley,” “cement,” “thrones,” and literacy. In 1842, only eight (or 13.3%) of those sixty items were confirmed by archaeological evidence. Thus, in the mid-nineteenth century, archaeology did not support the claims made by the Book of Mormon.
As the efforts of archaeology have shed light on the ancient New World, we find in 2005 that forty-five of those sixty items (75%) have been confirmed. Thirty-five of the items (58%) have been definitively confirmed by archaeological evidence and ten items (17%) have received possible–tentative, yet not fully verified–confirmation. Therefore, as things stand at the moment, current New World archaeological evidence tends to verify the claims made by the Book of Mormon.
On 09/15/2014 05:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

None of it has been able to withstand any independent scrutiny.. Unfortunately, I think it is wishful thinking on your part.
On 9/15/2014 2:59 PM, Todd wrote:

Strange, I was just thinking about you, and your refusal to accept evidence.