Refrigerator - freezer defrost test

Page 2 of 2
On 3/25/2016 12:56 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Example dot com .... web portal user. Not even a real usenet post.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Hey, Oren, now I have a fan too! I finally made it to the big time.

That's not the rule for me. It's a pretty simple diagnosis. Heater, limit switch, timer. Even the newer adaptive defrost models with electronic controls are easy to figure out.
I would not like changing a timer only to get called back.
Ed wrote:

this is TRurtle.
first These words was not written when they had electrinic controls, but on standard block timers.
Second You don't need to spend about 6 to 8 hours at the refrigerator customers house and change him about $500.00 on a $500.00 refrigerator to hunt down a defrost problem. You ohn out to see the defront terminator it ok, then you ohm out the defrost element is ok, and then see if the defrost timer is running. Now Ed , you do all the test you can do on this refrigerator and still find nothing wrong . Now What do you do ?
Thirdly the words that i stated was the old time refrigerator service people [ not me ] who have workied on these refrigerator all thier lives and have this as a rule of their business. I was told this by all the refrigerator service people eversince i was a kid [ 40 something years ] when you can't find a problem with the defrost system -- change the defrost timer. Also sears tells their tech this same words when they can't find anything wrong with the defrost system -- change the defrost timer.
Fourth No disrespect at all but these words have been carried down the through the years and is still used in the refrigerator business today. Now what i think here. On the old stuff i would say yes , but on the new stuff NO, Sorry if my opinion differes from your !
TURTLE

I have been doing it for 31 years, never heard that rule.

It's wrong, I don't care who says to do it.

Not anywhere I know.

No problem.
Ed wrote:

This is Turtle.
now Ed , your going to tell me that as you say you have worked on refrigerators for 31 years and never seen a defrost timer jam and before you get there or when you get there it the timer goes back to working before you see it. when you get there the coil is frozen up , defrost timer is running, defrost terminator is closed, and the defrost element has no breaks or defects. at this time you can run all the test you want on the box and it will show no problem.
Now explain to me this problem as to what you would do ? Is there a test to see if the timer just jammed or stopped and went back to running or how to you handle this problem ? what you explain to me can be useful to me in my business and this is not a joke or cheap shot. i know most all about what you will explain here so just get a little complex if you like.
TURTLE
Three easy ways to tell if it is working. 1. put it in the defrost cycle and look at the heater, it will turn red. Even the metal heaters turn red. 2. Wait for the defrosting to begin. You'll hear the water dripping on the heater, water should show up in the drip pan. 3. Put it into defrost and put the plug in and out of the wall outlet. If it's working you'll see a pretty good spark.

RichK wrote:

Hi, If the contacts on the timer is badly pitted, just replace it for peace of mind. Tony

The contacts were pitted, but no more than nay other relay contacts I have seen. Smoothed them with a small file for now. There was still a fair amount of contact material left.
I know that some relay contacts in the higher rating are made of silver-cadmium oxide, which is closer to the surface. Once the cad-oxide is worn, the contacts wear out much faster.
Since this is my own fridge, I can take the risk and keep that timer working for longer. For now it's fine. If I were doing it for someone else, I'd replace the timer.
Rich