Reflectix Duct Insulation

Anyone ever use this? I wrapped a duct in my basement with it, following the directions that say to use spacers to create a dead air space. The stuff is still warm to the touch. Shouldn't something rated at R-6 not feel so warm? I am wondering if this stuff is really any good.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I used R-19 paper faced batts when I did my parents duct work in their garage. I used lath to nail to the ceiling joists, holding the paper underneath. Duct tape for the seams. The batts were way cheaper than anything else available at the time.

R-6 is not much insulation better than nothing.

Reply to
SQLit

It is not R 6, it says it is " Like R6" and it gives different R values for different aplications for the same product, Id say it is BS. Deceptive marketing at its best.

Reply to
m Ransley

That's because you are ignorant :-) Different conditions give different R-values, but they are predictable. For instance, Table 2 on page 22.2 of the 1993 ASHRAE HOF says a horizontal foil with a 3.5" air gap and a 50 F mean temp with a 30 F temp diff and emissivity e = 0.05 will have R2.01 for upward heatflow and R8.17 for downward heatflow (with no convection.) The energy savings are quite real.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

m Ransley,

Write it on the calendar! I agree with Nick on this one!

We have used Refrectix, and it seems to work. The information that I have from ASHRAE Fundamentals agrees with what Nick says. Also it holds up better than paper faced insulation in high traffic areas and it is a better vapor barrier which is important in many applications.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Alright Nick and Stretch then why does Reflextic Not have a Certified R value published. R value is industry accepted to determine a materials insulating value. To say something performs "like" is meaningless. Don`t tell me deceptive advertising does not exist. This "like" a specific R value is exactly how insulating paint is advertised, and my IR tests gave me no insulating value when aplied as directed. There are certified R values for most everything, but not Reflextic.

Reply to
m Ransley

I've heard the FTC prohibited radiant barrier makers from advertising R-values because they change with conditions of use, which confuses many consumers, but if you poke around enough you may be able to get all the info you need from the manufacturer or estimate it yourself using ASHRAE tables for simple foils.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

I talked to Reflextic years ago and asked who did their R value test and if they had one. They could not, would not , give an answer so I am left with disbelief. Even if it might possibly perform as their non independant unverified "claim" states, the cost of reflextic is excessive compared to indepently proven and tested materials such as Fiberglass. My view is it is 1/4" bubble-foil wrap claiming to perform like 2" R6 fiberglass foilfaced duct insulation or Foilfaced 2" Polyisocyanurate R14.4 foamboard, it does not wash with me. i dont dought it works but I would just guess it is near R 1-3 per 1/4" at an excessive cost. The only thing I did not do is purhase and IR test it because of its higher cost than proven Fiberglass. This is exactly the same claim Radiant barrier paint makes, radiant barriers are not R value, it is radiant heat loss which can be done cheaper with Foil faced fiberglass. Unless I see independant tests I can not believe it, No independant test leads me to believe it would fail their claim. Everyone wants their product certified, it is so easy and cheap to do .

Reply to
m Ransley

All arguments in this thread aside, to me, if it feels warm to the touch, then I don't really understand how it can be doing much insulating.

I want to insulate my ducts, but I'd prefer to neither use fiberglass nor the foam-backed foil. I understand that a lot of foam products contain PBDE, a carcinogenic fire-retardant. I am been trying to get info from FrostKing, which supplies it, but all they do is fax me a 20 year old MSDS.

Reply to
jc_va

That's because you are ignorant :-)

You could probably learn how to do that...

I think they are more like a single foil.

No, but they have R-values.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Nick ol ignorant boy, Prove reflextic has a true rating.

Reply to
m Ransley