Refill1 lb. propane bottles

Page 1 of 2
eBay has an adapter to refill portable butane bottles for $8.00 with free shipping.
I'd about given up finding one of these and threw away a lot of empty bottles a few years ago. It only took two days to get here from California, over 1000 miles away. eBay is great for finding things, and shipping cost are affordable, and I don't have to sign up for prime like amazon to get affordable shipping.
I'm going to be looking in trash cans for empty bottles when I go camping this year.
YouTube has videos that show how to fill the bottles, and has videos for doing almost everything.
On 5/25/2016 7:44 PM, dangerous dan wrote:

Your subject line says propane botles, and your text body says butane. Perhaps you wish to choose one?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 05/25/2016 05:44 PM, dangerous dan wrote:

You can cobble one up at the hardware store but you might be out more than $8.

specialty parts like the fitting to connect to the 1 lb bottle and the 20 lb tank. (likely more than $8 each)
On 5/26/2016 12:01 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Where does one get a 20 lb tank of butane?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

propane - doesn't know the difference. In Europe you can buy 20 lb Butane bottles
On 5/26/2016 12:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Just a wee bit insulting, you think?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

post - so obviously he doesn't know the difference - he refers to the same product as both.
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 8:17:29 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Or he had a brain fart. You've never used the wrong word and had someone say "Huh?"
I sure have.
On 05/26/2016 07:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[sni]

I sometimes use the wrong word, and almost always KNOW it right.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 5:05:36 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Huh?
On 5/26/2016 8:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Still just a wee bit insulting, I think.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

talking about??
On 05/26/2016 07:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I remember when I was growing up on the farm. The trucks had two tanks. Someone told be that one had butane in it and the other had propane. They could supple the proper mixture (I don't remember why they needed different mixtures).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

A big tobacco store.
On 5/25/2016 11:11 PM, rbowman wrote:

I don't see many people using portable butane bottles in NYS. Hardly worth a refill rig. And, I would not know where to get bulk butane.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/25/2016 4:44 PM, dangerous dan wrote:

Butane or propane?
Why do you need to refill them?

On 05/25/2016 11:44 PM, Don Y wrote:

Maybe because they're empty?
On 5/26/2016 4:43 AM, Bo wrote:

My experience is only with propane. About half the cost, in 20 pound tanks. Sadly, the valves tend to leak on the one pounder cylinders.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 8:07:51 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Half the cost? I'm pretty sure it's much less than that.
A quick on-line check shows that 1 lb tanks are going for $3-$4 these days. I just had a 20 lb tank filled for under $10. Even the more expensive Blue Rhino style exchanges are much cheaper than "half the cost" on a per pound basis.
I've had a refill adapter for 10+ years. You don't get anywhere near a full 1 lb refill, so you have to do it more often than you might like, but it does cut down on the cost considerably.