Redneck 1 KW generator

Page 1 of 2
Cost virtually free. Everything came from garage sales or the trash.
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/redneck_power.jpg
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 13, 2:51 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I assume that's an inverter on the right hand side, right?
How much can you power with a 1 KW generator - assuming the inverter is of decent quality?
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, a computer running is about 100 watts, so you could run, um, (mumble, mumble, carry the two), ah, TEN computers.
But the output could be more.
It's gotta be a function of the alternator capacity. 150 amps (1,800 watts) is common but alternators can go up to 350 amps (4,200 watts) or more.
Add pictures here
✖

[audible chuckle]

Add pictures here
✖

Carry the two?
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Computers think in binary.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

My desktop has a 500W power supply and the monitor is a good 50W.
A laptop can run on 100W but not a desktop.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 03:09:58 +0000 (UTC), in alt.home.repair, G. Morgan

Your PSU *might* (ahem) supply *up to* 500W, doesn't mean that it does so all the time. If your compy doesn't sport the dull red glow of a small space heater, that's a clue.
--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not right now it's not, since you're looking at 2D text, and not running it full out on 3D with all the eye candy turned on. \\\\
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 03:09:58 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan

Why do you think your PS is actually pulling anything near that bogus 500w rating? I am running a desktop in my car on a 135w inverter (MP3 player)
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I can add. I can also use the hundreds of various online configurators that help you size a P/S for the new computer you're building.

You can buy a 2GB MP3 player at Walgreens for $15. Why on Earth do you have a desktop in your car for that?
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:56:59 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan

<g> Because he can? Because in 2000 when he did it a 500mb MP3 player cost $150? Because he has 900GB of MP3's? Because he also has automobile diagnostics, map systems, internet, and his photo collection on the road? . . . . . .
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
on 7/14/2009 7:18 AM (ET) Jim Elbrecht wrote the following:

Plus a portable cooler for his beer.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Or a portable cooler for himself. Like this:
Pic
http://thereifixedit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/tifi-airconditioning.jpg
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:56:59 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan

If I could find one with a key pad interface like MPXPLAY I would buy it. They all require trying to use a tiny screen and scrolling through a few hundred songs to get to what you want to hear. That is not something I want to do on the road. I can use a key pad without taking my eyes off the road.
Add pictures here
✖

Like HeyBub, I've done actual measurements on my desktop. Including monitor,it adds up to 160 watts. -- Doug
Add pictures here
✖
Thought of this, the instant I deleted the post.
Q: Why carry the two? A: Computers think in binary.
What came to mind an instant later, there aren't any 2s in binary.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sure there are: the one in the two's place.

✖

New 19.5 cu ft frige = 100w, 20- 9w cfls = 180w, newer tv 170w, computer, Dsl modem, 24" monitor 112w [ im looking at mine on a Kill a Watt] = 562w so I could power 2 houses with 1000w if I cut a few lights.
Add pictures here
✖

If I remember correctly ( I know I am close), One HP can create 746 watts, so you only need a 2 HP motor to create approx 1500 watts. Then you need a Generator that can produce 1500 watts at 3600 RPM ( to get peak HP)and a battery big enough to store most of the energy and an inverter that will invert DC to AC.
Hank
Add pictures here
✖