recommendation on 2-speed swimming pool pump

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 07:07:22 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: <snip>

Stop feeding the trolls.
OK
<PLONK>
wrote: <snip>

Top-posting liar.

Why would you comment?
Jim

Per another post, I too have had good (but limited) experience with Hayward pumps.
Unless you need at new pump/motor right now, I would not recommend replacing a perfectly good one just to get the reducing energy usage. But the decison really depends on "the numbers".
The whole idea of using a two speed or variable speed is to reduce the flow rate through the system (gpm) ...... The power needed to do the job of circulating the water is represented by the product of flow rate (gpm) & system pressure loss (psi) through the system.
Reducing the flow rate (say from 80 gpm to 40 gpm), the pressure loss through will only be 25% of the original since pressure loss though is piping system goes roughly by gpm squared. and since the flow is down by 50%....... 50% of 25% is 12.5%, so the pump will only be required to supply 1/8 the original power.
But since you;re only moving 40gpm, you'll have to run the pump twice as long to filter the same amount of water per day and get comparable cleaning performance. This will still result in reducing your daily power consumption by 75% (if the pump is only run on low speed).
Your actual savings will depend on how you operate the new system, the of low speed & high speed operation.
If you currently run your one speed pump 6 hours per day ....that's about 75c to $1 per day. If you save 75% to 50% of that (depending on speed mix) that would be about 60c or 70c per day..... $250 per year, not bad.
How much does a new pump / motor, new controller & installation cost? This sounds like a very good ROI and a payback in a few years.
Of course the best way to save money on keeping the pool clean, is to reduce running time until the pool is no longer as clean as you'd like and then add some running time.
This game can also be played with you new system.
When I had a pool, I used cut back running time based on season, pool usage, dirt loading. Winter in SoCal, don't use much chemicals, pool usage (not heated) was way down so I ran only a few hours perd day. Summer usage required much more run time. Giant party (parents away) required extra chlorine & increased run time.
And keep your eye on your Pool Man...... I would reduce the run time, he would increase it. He preferred to spend my electricity to help him look good. :)
cheers Bob

Get used to multispeed pumps. Many states are either requiring them now or will be soon. I am still not sure how much money is saved vs a timer.

From my utility company web site: (offers $200.00 rebate)*
"While Two-Speed Pumps are adequate for older pools, Variable-Speed Pumps presently provide the greatest potential for energy savings. Variable speed pumps allow greater flexibility and can be programmed for multiple speeds at the desired flow rate for each application."
Here are several good reasons to replace your single-speed pool pump today:
- Save up to 80% on energy costs associated with pool operation
- Variable speed pumps run cooler and quieter, which helps the pump last longer
- Filter works more efficiently to keep the pool water more clean, clear and healthy "
http://www.nvenergy.com/saveenergy/home/rebates/poolpumps.cfm
I would consider the Pentair brand.
"terri" wrote in message
can anyone recommend a specific type or brand of pump/motor, 1 HP max, for in-ground swimming pool?
my current understanding is that there are two speed motors that run at low speed (half power) enough to circulate water and can be switched to the full speed to run automatic pool sweepers (like creepy crawly, pool vac)
I use a Hayward for an inground 16 x 32 x 9.5 ft pool. It's 230 v x 7.5 amps. Most people in my town use Hayward motors and all three swimming pool sales and service shops sell them and recommend them.
It's easy to prime, and easy to clean the strainer. My pump runs 24 hours a day.