recommendation on 2-speed swimming pool pump

Page 1 of 2
can anyone recommend a specific type or brand of pump/motor, 1 HP max, for in-ground swimming pool?
my current understanding is that there are two speed motors that run at low speed (half power) enough to circulate water and can be switched to the full speed to run automatic pool sweepers (like creepy crawly, pool vac)

One of the pumps on my hot tub is two speed so they do exist. I would expect this is accomplished with multiple windings on the motor so you would need a more sophisticated switch as well. The hot tub pumps seem to be a lot like pool pumps, composite pump bolted on to the end of an electric motor. I don't have a clue about brands but the electric motor half seems to be regular electric motors like ge and dayton.
In wrote:

The ones I've seen are pulse-modulated so the slower it runs without stalliing the less current it pulls. I've never come across one for an in ground pool though. I imagine since it has to be continuous duty it's too hard to dissipate the heat properly unless it's pulse-modulated, something that's not good to use outdoors under varying loads (filter fresh/needs bumping/cleaning, etc.). They run awfully hot by design when they operate continuously in the hot sun. Won't burn skin instantly but keep your hand there too long and under your hand, insulated will make you pull your hand away n a hurry!
I've always found Hayward to have good product that outlasts most others, around here anyway where they only get used 4 to 6 months per year.

I usually stay away from Hayward products unless nothing else is available. The pool techs I've talked to say they are not as high quality as some other brands. But of course, the pool store that sells Hayward says it's the best. YMMV.
Jim

As a second owner of my home with Hayward pool equipment I can say the first pump motor lasted at least seven years, before I changed the motor out with a new Emerson brand motor.
Having seen a few Pentair motors running, noticing the silence and lack of noise I would suggest the Pentair motors today.
My next one will be Pentair, variable speed.

No particular recommendation, but I have one of these (gifted, taken for project value of the motor (it had been "rebuilt" - impeller glued back together, and had already fallen apart again) half speed (which is what it runs) is more like 1/8-1/4 power. Should be common as dirt at pool suppliers. I don't recall the brand and it's not anywhere near the computer to go check it. None of them are made all that well from what I have seen.

terri wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I've got a Pentair 1hp that is 5 years old, no problems. It's a single speed, but they have others that are two speed. My understanding is that two speed is more efficient, even considering that it has to run longer at the low speed to move the same amount of water. One obvious issue in going to a two speed would be whether the current controller you have can support two speeds. If not, I guess you'd be restricted to running only at the lower speed, which may not be enough for all situations.
A good place to find answers to these questions is the pool and spa forum which you can google.

YOu may want to use an inverter to power the motor if you already have a motor. You can set the speed for about anything you want to from a very low speed to the maximum of the motor. The inverter may be less expensive than a new motor or a special two speed motor and speed switch.
http://www.redrive.net/product/CIMR-J7AM20P7/New-CIMR-J7AM20P70-Yaskawa-J7-GPD305-AC-Drive-1HP-230V-VFD.html
The link is to a good brand. Where I work we use them and have about 30 in use now. They seldom give trouble.
After doing some high electric bill complaints for a local electric utility, many polished pool owners told me they just put cycle timers on their pumps. A few hours twice or once per day was enough.
Apparently the "chemicals are cheaper" and the low speed may not have enoug velocity to reach the far corners of the pool anyway.
I was told the savings were significant.
can anyone recommend a specific type or brand of pump/motor, 1 HP max, for in-ground swimming pool?
my current understanding is that there are two speed motors that run at low speed (half power) enough to circulate water and can be switched to the full speed to run automatic pool sweepers (like creepy crawly, pool vac)

Every inground pool I've ever seen has a timer. Conventional wisdom is that you're supposed to run it long enough to circulate water equal to the pool volume each day. However, I think a lot depends on climate, usage, etc. I've run one less than that each day with no problems.

If by chemicals, you mean putting in algaecide or other chemicals to make up for less circulation and filtering, I doubt it's worth it. A 1hp pool pump only draws about 7 amps. If you run it 8 hours a day, that's about $75 a month. If you cut it in half, you'd save ~$37 a month, which doesn't seem like a lot in the pool world. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather have less chemicals in mine than more.
I do not and will not own a pool so I do not know the chemicals used or needed.
I am only telling you what pool owners have told me.
Pretty hard to run a 2HP pool motor with 7 amps. I doubt inflatables pools don't count on any of thes items. .

The poster asked specifically about a 1HP motor, which is enough for filtering even a 50,000 gallon pool, hardly an inflatable pool. You may go back to sleep now. Perhaps if you don't own or know anything about a pool other than what you've heard, you shouldn't be giving advice.
I found it hard to seperate information when I was a newbie also.
Do you consider yourself a pool, energy, or Usenet expert?
I do know one thing...it is proably cheaper, at the advice of experienced people, and simple math, to use chemicals in a pool a than to run a 1 HP pump motor 24/7 with PG&E TOU rates during the day. Even the eight hour peak usage rate of 58.2 cents /kWh (200% of base consumption) (you understand energy units and rates, right?) x 8 x 1HP / 80% efficiency
= $134.60 per month. (peak TOU consumption only not including any taxes or delivery charges) http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-6.pdf
How does a few extra chemicals needed fare to shutting the pump down during peak hours. Time for **YOU** to wake up now and give advice on some energy stats vs pool chemical stats. Some will be waiting for you expert advice comparing the two.

I don't, but the OP asked about pool pumps and nothing about chemicals. How did you get to chemicals in a simple thread?
How did you nymshift without being able to read such a simple thread?
wrote: Do you consider yourself a pool, energy, or Usenet expert?

J Unit,
Nymshift? You cannot be that dense. I have four brothers named Oren (one deceased).
Then why use so many different names on Usenet?
Nymshift? You cannot be that dense. I have four brothers named Oren (one deceased).

You speak of things you know nothing about! Nor, have you or anyone else seen me nymshift.
I'm done with you and your lame troll conversation. I hope others see you for what you are -- a none help to the OP about pumps.
Someone that answers a question with a question. See ya.
Now can you stay on topic or would you rather be mud slinging?
Try reading the thread first, next time.