recessed toilet paper holder

We are renovating a small bathroom and I want to try and find an aesthetica lly pleasing solution for the toilet paper holder.
The only good spot is to put it recessed in the side wall. That's where we have it now. The ceramic piece we have now looks pretty crude. It's fine with basic white tile which we have now but with the new porcelain tile we selected we need a higher end look. I am going to ask the tile guy if he can make a niche similar to a shower niche. It would just need to small h oles for the spindle to go into. It sounds easy enough to me but I'm not a tile guy.
I hunted around online and couldn't find any pictures of exactly what I am looking for. This one is close:
http://st.hzcdn.com/fimgs/b0f130ac01f8ea28_3987-w500-h400-b0-p0--contempora ry-bathroom.jpg
It's just a little too big looking. I would want a tighter fit.
If someone made an insert that was higher end looking that would be a solut ion but I haven't seen any that look great. Our porcelain tile is cream co lored.
I would appreciate any ideas for the best way to handle the recessed toilet paper hanger.
There really is no other place to put it. The bathroom is way too small fo r a stand. It's a 5 x 7 bathroom.
Thanks in advance.
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

That looks like a regular wall mounted holder simply mounted in a custon recess in the wall. It doesn't look like you can make it much smaller, but since the recess is custom, you could try.
Most are half recessed: https://www.google.com/search?q=recessed+toilet+paper+holder&tbm=isch
But I like the looks of this one: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sail-systems--recessed-toilet-paper-holder--1486869
I like the bottle trap in the picture. When exposed they are much nicer that the usual P-traps used in the USA.
On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 2:02:52 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

ne with basic white tile which we have now but with the new porcelain tile we selected we need a higher end look. I am going to ask the tile guy if h e can make a niche similar to a shower niche. It would just need to small holes for the spindle to go into. It sounds easy enough to me but I'm not a tile guy.

colored.

That has such a great institutionalized look...I would leave it! (Reminds o f a school bathroom)
We are renovating a small bathroom and I want to try and find an aesthetically pleasing solution for the toilet paper holder.
The only good spot is to put it recessed in the side wall. That's where we have it now. The ceramic piece we have now looks pretty crude. It's fine with basic white tile which we have now but with the new porcelain tile we selected we need a higher end look. I am going to ask the tile guy if he can make a niche similar to a shower niche. It would just need to small holes for the spindle to go into. It sounds easy enough to me but I'm not a tile guy.
I hunted around online and couldn't find any pictures of exactly what I am looking for. This one is close:
http://st.hzcdn.com/fimgs/b0f130ac01f8ea28_3987-w500-h400-b0-p0--contemporary-bathroom.jpg
It's just a little too big looking. I would want a tighter fit.
There is no reason it can't be recessed. Two caveats...
1. The depth of the recess is limited by the hollow space in the wall + the thickness of the wall skin on the open side.
2. Keep the opening wide enough so that you can get your fingers in to remove the spring loaded roller.
It sounds like you are thinking of a tiled recess with holes in the tile for the roller. If so, I think you would need some sort of bushing with holes for the roller - could be wood, brass, plastic - in the holes in the tile or just on it. I don't think the tile would survive long of you tried to put the roller into the tile itself.
Is there a vanity end next to the toilet? If so, might be easier to make a recess there.

There is a vanity going in next to the toilet but it is to the left (lookin g at the toilet, not sitting) and the vanity is only 18 inches deep. I tes ted it out and it feels really awkward for right handed people. The other side where we have it is much better.
On 8/13/2016 3:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

In our upstairs bathroom we have a 21.5" vanity and it too far back to use comfortably for me.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote

That looks like a dirt catcher to me, without being especially attractive. If you don't like the ceramic options (I don't blame you. They're clunky.) then why not just set in a chrome or brushed stainless holder? There's no reason the tiler can't set that up for you and tile around the opening.
On 8/13/2016 3:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

When we did out bathrooms the recessed holders we found were all ugly. We have Kohler hardware wo we opted to use a surface mounted Kohler holder, brushed SS like the rest of the hardware on a white tile.
The example you showed looks kind of industrial with the tile/grout combo. Chances are yours would be better. You have to be able to go about 4" deep to get the pins in place.