Rear projection TV repair?

Is anyone familiar with rear projection TVs and their repair? My Pioneer 52" TV has large blue and yellow "ghosts" to the right of objects on the screen. These aren't just little ghosts, but appear quite a distance from the object.
Is this symptomatic of the blue/yellow gun being significantly out of convergence? I checked the convergence control and the colors appeared to be pretty well converged, but the way the consistency of the blue and yellow ghosts have me hoping this can be repaired. I'm just not ready to put any more money into this 12-yr old set. If it's too expensive to repair, I'll probably apply the money toward an HDTV set, but as much as the cost of these sets have come down, they still have a long ways to go in both cost and technology before I'd prefer to invest in them.
I appreciate any comments you may have.
Thanx
Mine is also Pioneer but 7 years old. When I have that problem I did tried all the convergence adjustment but did not do any good. Friend of mine replace the convergence IC and everything is back to normal. Don't know the actual cost I just gave him $50, so its fixable.

Try for a response in sci.electronics.repair